1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision?

1. Jun 28, 2005 #1
    You are standing on a sheet of ice that covers the football stadium parking lot in Buffalo; there is negligible friction between your feet and the ice. A friend throws you a ball of mass 0.400 kg that is traveling horizontally at 10.8 m/s. Your mass is 70.4 kg.

this is my first answer
    If you catch the ball, with what speed do you and the ball move afterwards?
    6.1 cm/sCorrect
    my answersdisplay math

Part B
    If the ball hits you and bounces off your chest, so afterwards it is moving horizontally at 7.90 m/s in the opposite direction, what is your speed after the collision?

with the second part, i calculated the first momentum before the collision then the one for after. i subtracted the after from before and devided my the mass of the boy and i got 1.64 cm/s. is this wrong? the velocity of the boy before the collison is zero becasue he's at rest.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The final momentum of the ball is negative compared to the inital momentum. Your calculation has treated it as positive.
  4. Jun 29, 2005 #3
    you mean 1.65 should be a negative if so, i still ended up wrong with it.
  5. Jun 29, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You calculated the initial momentum of the ball and got _________

You calculated the final momentum of the ball and got _________

You subtracted the second number from the first treating both as postive, but in fact your second number is negative. If you treat it correctly, your final velocity will be greater in part B than it was in part A.
  6. Jun 29, 2005 #5
    thnaks dude. i solved it was 10.6cm/s
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?