Elastic Collision Solution: Solving for Final Velocities

In summary, after a collision between an ice puck and a .9 kg puck, the ice puck moves to the left with a speed of 1 m/s and the .9 kg puck moves to the right with a speed of 2m/s.
0338jw

Homework Statement

a .450kg ice puck moving east with a speed of 3 m/s has a head on collision with a .9 kg puck initially at rest. Assuming a perfectly elastic collision what will be the speed and direction of each object after the collision?

Homework Equations

v1 +v1f = v2+v2f
m1*v1+m2*v2=m1*v1f+m2*v2f
.5*m1*v1i^2 + .5*m2*v2i^2 = .5*m1*v1f^2 + >5*m2*v2f^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used the first equation listed and rearranged it for V2f in order to solve for V1f, and plugged that back into the second equation without luck. I've googled the solution to elastic collisions but that only confuses me more. Which equation am I supposed to plug this into? Once i have V1f can i use the first equation to solve for V2f, or do i need to go through the whole process again? It's a bit of algebra so i may have gotten lost somewhere in there. COuld someone just give me a play by play of what I'm supposed to do here to do this the short way, as I know the long way is using the 2nd and 3rd equations and that's WAY more algebra. All help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is almost correct, though I don't think the first equation is generally applicable.

You have two unknowns (final speed for both objects) so you do need two equations to solve them both. One is conservation of momentum (second equation) and the other is conservation of energy (third equation). Try using those.

Try this too... generally, for elastic collisions, the relative velocity of two objects before a collision is reversed after the collision.

You could also try working in another frame... imagine that you were actually on the moving puck, and that the stationary puck is actually moving towards you at 3 m/s. After the collision, the (initially stationary) puck should be moving away from you at 3 m/s as well.

I got it! Thanks for the help. I went through it again, and was able to solve it using the conservation of momentum eq after plugging in the velocities. Got 1 m/s to the left for the first object and 2m/s to the right for the second. time to fry bigger fish :D

1. What is an elastic collision in 1D?

An elastic collision in 1D is a type of collision where two objects collide and bounce off each other without any energy loss. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system remains constant before and after the collision.

2. How is the kinetic energy conserved in an elastic collision in 1D?

The kinetic energy is conserved in an elastic collision in 1D because the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the sum of the initial kinetic energies of the objects is equal to the sum of the final kinetic energies of the objects.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocity of an object in an elastic collision in 1D?

The equation for calculating the final velocity of an object in an elastic collision in 1D is v2 = ((m1-m2)v1 + 2m2v2)/(m1+m2), where v1 and v2 are the initial velocities of the two objects, m1 and m2 are their respective masses, and v2 is the final velocity of the second object.

4. Can the coefficient of restitution be greater than 1 in an elastic collision in 1D?

No, the coefficient of restitution, which measures the ratio of relative velocities after and before the collision, cannot be greater than 1 in an elastic collision in 1D. A value greater than 1 would indicate that the objects are gaining energy, which goes against the principle of conservation of energy.

5. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of an elastic collision in 1D?

In an elastic collision in 1D, the angle of collision does not affect the outcome of the collision. This is because the objects are only moving in one dimension, so the direction of their motion is already determined. However, in collisions that occur in multiple dimensions, the angle of collision can affect the final velocities of the objects.