1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collisions and Energy

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    Just to begin, uhh. I'm 75% sure my work makes logical sense [I hope], and that my problem lies in a computational error. But I really don't know why my answers aren't working out. I've now gone through the problem in 3 different ways, and I keep getting the same answer, but it's apparently still incorrect. If it is an arithmetic error, sorry for making you read through all of this to fix such a stupid mistake >.>

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 12.7g object moving to the right at 26.5cm/s overtakes and collides elastically with a 10.5g object moving in the same direction at 10.7cm/s.

Find the velocity of the faster object after the collision. Answer in units of cm/s.

Find the velocity of the slower object after the collision. Answer in units of cm/s.

2. Relevant equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v3 + m2v4

.5m1v1^2 + .5m2v2^2 = .5m1v3^2 + .5m2v4^2

And, sorry in advanced for the ugly way that equation appears. And for the work that is likely to look just as messy.

3. The attempt at a solution

m1 = 12.7g ; v1 = 26.5cm/s
    m2 = 10.5g ; v2 = 10.7cm/s

I plugged those two into the first equation and got:
    448.9 = 12.7v3 + 10.5v4

Rearranged for v3:
    v3 = 35.35 - 0.827v4

I then plugged in the m1, v1, m2, and v2 into the second equation and got:
    5060.36 = 6.35v3^2 + 5.25v4^2

Plugged in the v3 from the previous equation:
    5060.36 = 6.35 ( 35.35 - 0.827x )^2 + 5.25 x^2

My TI-89 keeps giving me two answers:
    v3 = 28 [in which case v4 = 8.89]
    v3 = 10.7 [and thus v4 = 29.8]

Problemo Uno: Why are there two answers? o_O? And both seem to work when plugged back into the original equations? This point makes me most uncomfy and confused.

Problemo Dos: If it's an elastic collision, shouldn't one of the objects be moving in a negative direction now? Perhaps my thought process is wrong here though, but idk.

Thanks in advanced to whoever offers help yay. And I know I'm a noob leeching off these forums, so just so I don't feel like I'm nomming up the answer and running away, I'll stay around to help someone else if I can xD.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your set-up is correct, but neither of your solutions work when I plug them in here.
  4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    Auurrghhghghghhhh. Fifth round of calculator plug and chug, and I still got 2 answers, but the one that worked worse out of the two turned out to be the right pair. This. Is. Really. Weird. Maybe I need a new calculator, idk.

Anyways, thanks for rechecking my set-up :].
  5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

By the way, for one-dimensional elastic collisions, you can combine the two equations to come up with a third one that relates the objects' relative velocities. It's linear so you can avoid the quadratic messiness. Check your notes or your book for its derivation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook