Solving Elastic Collisions - Momentum & Final Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with two masses in a totally elastic collision on the same x-plane. The momentum of the masses before and after the collision is given, and the goal is to determine the final momentum and velocity of each object. The conversation mentions using two equations, one for conservation of momentum and one for conservation of energy, to solve for the unknown velocities.
bjah
Please clear up this problem...

Mass 1 = 8 kg, and v = 3 m/s to the right.
Mass 2 = 4 kg, and v = -3 m/s to the left.

Both objects are on the same x-plane. Totally elastic collision.
Momentum of mass 1 is 24, and momentum of mass 2 is -12.

How do I determine final momentum for each object, and therefore final velocity, after the collision?

Thank you.
Brad

Physics news on Phys.org
bjah said:
Please clear up this problem...

Mass 1 = 8 kg, and v = 3 m/s to the right.
Mass 2 = 4 kg, and v = -3 m/s to the left.

Both objects are on the same x-plane. Totally elastic collision.
Momentum of mass 1 is 24, and momentum of mass 2 is -12.

How do I determine final momentum for each object, and therefore final velocity, after the collision?

Thank you.
Brad

You have two unknowns (the velocities of the two masses after the collision).
If you can find two equations in these two variables, just basic algebra will see you home.

Ask yourself what the definition of an "elastic" collision is, and that will give you one of your equations. Conservation of momentum will give you the other one.

And that's where I'm stuck!

(8 x 3) + (4 x -3) = (8 x Vfinal of mass 1) + (4 x Vfinal of mass 2)

But how do I combine the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

bjah said:
And that's where I'm stuck!

(8 x 3) + (4 x -3) = (8 x Vfinal of mass 1) + (4 x Vfinal of mass 2)

But how do I combine the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy?

What does the equation for conservation of energy say about the energy before and the collision?

KE initial must = KE final.

bjah said:
KE initial must = KE final.
Right. So write out expressions for those two energies in this context.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before and after the collision remains the same. In an elastic collision, the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision?

To calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision, you can use the conservation of momentum and energy equations. The equations are:
m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v1f + m2v2f
m1v1i2 + m2v2i2 = m1v1f2 + m2v2f2
where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1i and v2i are the initial velocities, and v1f and v2f are the final velocities.

3. Can the final velocities of two objects be the same after an elastic collision?

Yes, the final velocities of two objects can be the same after an elastic collision. This can happen if the initial velocities of the objects are the same and their masses are also the same. In this case, the objects will exchange velocities and both end up with the same final velocity.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The angle of collision does not affect the final velocities in an elastic collision. This is because the conservation of momentum and energy equations are scalar equations and do not take into account the direction of motion. As long as the collision is elastic, the final velocities will only depend on the initial velocities and masses of the objects.

5. Is an elastic collision the same as a perfectly inelastic collision?

No, an elastic collision is not the same as a perfectly inelastic collision. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy, while in a perfectly inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move with a common final velocity. In both cases, however, the total momentum of the system is conserved.