1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Collison Problem

1. Mar 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 10-kg mass moving at a speed of V[tex]_{1}[/tex] in a positive direction collides elastically with a 2-kg mass which is initially at rest. The magnitude of the net force that acts on each object during the collision is shown in the figure. Find the initial velocity, V[tex]_{1}[/tex], of the 10-kg mass prior to collision, the final velocity, v[tex]_{3}[/tex], of the 10-kg mass, and the final velocity, v[tex]_{4}[/tex], of the 2-kg mass.

I can't post the figure up, but it's a force with respect to time chart. It starts with nothing, then starts to spike upwards at a constant rate from time 1 millisecond to time 3 milliseconds, where it peaks at 10000N, then goes back down at the same rate, hitting 0N at 5 milliseconds. I've already figured the Impulse is 20 N*s from this.

2. Relevant equations

p = mv

I = F[tex]/delta[/tex]T

[tex]/delta[/tex]p = mv[tex]_{final}[/tex] - mv[tex]_{initial}[/tex]

mv[tex]_{before collision}[/tex] = the some of mv[tex]_{after collision}[/tex]

Possibly assorted others.

3. The attempt at a solution

So far, I know the Impulse is 20 NS.

Impulse = Momentum, I do believe.

20 = (10)V

Making Velocity of the first object initially = 2 m/s, correct?

That would answer the first question, but I'm not totally sure where to go from there.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2
    Here's a quick idea of what I tried to do...lemme know if it looks right.

20 = (10)V[tex]_{3}[/tex] + 2(V[tex]_{4}[/tex])
    20 = .5(10)V[tex]_{3}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + .5(2)V[tex]_{4}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex]

Those are the conservation of momentum and energy equations.

I solved the momentum one for V[tex]_{3}[/tex] and got .55279 m/s. I can post steps if anyone wants to see.

Then I plugged that into the energy one and got 1.7061 m/s. Sound about right?

It looks like it MIGHT be accurate, but the sums of mv before and the sums of mv after aren't equal.

I got 2(10) = 20 for before and 10(.55279) + 2(1.7061) = 8.94 for after. =/
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  4. Mar 10, 2008 #3
    my answers:

v1 + V3 = 10
    2V1 = 12
    V1 = 6 m/s
    V3 = 4 m/s
  5. Mar 10, 2008 #4
    How is V1 6m/s?

Am I doing the impulse equation wrong?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?