How to Calculate Minimum Cross-Section for Elastic Deformation in Copper Bars?

In summary: Can you help?In summary, at 95MPa, the square copper bar experiences only elastic deformation. To support a load of 1340kg without exceeding this stress, the minimum square cross-section (width of one side of the square cross section) required is a 1.8mm square.
savva
I am not sure which formula to apply, can anyone help me out?

Homework Statement

28. A square copper bar experiences only elastic
deformation if it is stressed less than 95MPa.
To support a load of 1340kg without exceeding this stress,
the minimum square cross-section ( i.e. width of one side
of the square cross section) required is

a) 1.8mm square
b) 3.6 mm square
c) 23.6mm square
d) 11.8mm square

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for stress?

Exams and leaving study to the last minute

Although the scientific formula for stress is τ = F / A
Rearranging this gives A = F / τ

Thus:
F = 1340kg x 9.8
τ = 95x10^6 Pa (as stated in the question)

Subbing these into A = F / τ gives 1.38x10^-4 m^2

Convert this to mm^2 by multiplying by 10^6 which gives 138.2 mm^2

Asquare = L^2, therefore to find the width of one side square root the area,\

so (138.2^0.5) = 11.8mm (Making the answer D)

Rember we have tensil stress and we have tensil strain.
Stress is the ratio of the force or load, F on the elastic material eg spring or string to the cross sectional area, A. It can be summarized as: stress= F/A.
While tensil strain is the ratio of the extention, e of the elastic material to the lenght, l. It can be given as strain=e/l . They are two different things. Always differenciate them for a better understanding.
The unit of stress is Nm-2 while strain has no unit since e and l are in metres.

@ Savva,
are you satisfied with the answer you got concerning your question on elastic deformation.
If you are not, then what does the unit MPa (95MPa) stand for; let me see how I can come in.
I know that v, is velocity which is ms-1. m is for mass which is kg. a is for acceleration which ms-2 e.t.c. But that MPa I don't know.

1. What is elastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is a type of deformation that occurs in materials when a force is applied to them. It is a reversible process, meaning that the material will return to its original shape once the force is removed.

2. What causes elastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is caused by the stretching or compressing of interatomic bonds within a material. When a force is applied, it causes the atoms in the material to move slightly, but they will return to their original position once the force is removed.

3. How is elastic deformation different from plastic deformation?

Elastic deformation is reversible, while plastic deformation is irreversible. This means that when a material undergoes plastic deformation, it will not return to its original shape once the force is removed. Plastic deformation is also typically accompanied by permanent changes in the material's properties, such as its strength and ductility.

4. Can all materials undergo elastic deformation?

No, not all materials can undergo elastic deformation. Materials that exhibit elastic deformation must have a certain level of elasticity, or the ability to return to their original shape after being deformed. Materials such as rubber and certain metals are known for their elasticity and can undergo elastic deformation.

5. How is elastic deformation measured?

Elastic deformation is typically measured by the amount of strain or change in length that occurs in a material when a force is applied. This can be quantified by calculating the material's Young's modulus, which is a measure of its stiffness or resistance to deformation.