How Is the Total Maximal Elastic Energy Calculated in This System?

In summary, the given scheme has a spring constant of 40 N/m and a mass of 6 kg. The wooden bulk is released at rest and the question asks for the elastic total maximal energy of the system. Using the equation E=0.5*K*(deltaX)^2, the answer is calculated to be 45 J. The conversation also discusses the meaning of deltaX and the value of A, which is the point beyond the initial rest point where equilibrium is achieved.
Edothegray

Homework Statement

Given the scheme
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm943gleo2nc8ft/Screenshot%202016-08-28%2013.47.33.png?dl=0
Springs' constant k=40 N\m
mass of bulk m=6kg
The wooden bulk is released at rest when all the springs are not stretched
Question: What is the elastic total maximal Energy of the system?
2. Homework Equations

E=0.5*K*(deltaX)^2
A=0.375m
Maximal kinetic energy 11.25Joul

The Attempt at a Solution

If I substitute all the givens in the equation given in section 2 above, I get Etot=4*0.5*40*0.375^2=45/4=11.25
Let me know if it's correct because what I saw in the book answers is 45J, which doesn't match my calculations. Maybe I'm missing something
Thanks for your attention

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get deltaX and what is A?
Initially the springs are at rest, at which point are they stretched maximally?

I get the same answer as the book (assuming g=10m/s^2).

Let me see if I got it right:
A-is the point beyond the initial rest point, in which we get equilibrium. So you've got to add the 0.375 of movement towards the bottom so eventually we get 0.75 of stretch of the upper springs down and equally 0.75 shrink of the bottom ones.
Well, you get the 0.375 from equilibrium equation on the bulk:
mg=4k*deltaX
is that what you meant?
Thanks for the response

Edothegray said:
So you've got to add the 0.375 of movement towards the bottom so eventually we get 0.75 of stretch of the upper springs down and equally 0.75 shrink of the bottom ones.
Right. And if you plug that in, you get 45 J.

gr8! Thank you

1. What is elastic energy?

Elastic energy is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed due to an external force acting on it.

2. How do you calculate elastic energy?

Elastic energy can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 kx², where E is the elastic energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What is the unit of measurement for elastic energy?

The unit of measurement for elastic energy is joules (J) in the SI system.

4. What are some real-life examples of elastic energy?

Some examples of elastic energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a bungee cord, and a trampoline.

5. How is elastic energy important in everyday life?

Elastic energy plays an important role in many everyday activities, such as using a slingshot, jumping on a trampoline, or riding a bike with shock absorbers. It is also essential in many industrial processes, such as in the design of springs for machines and vehicles.