Solving Elastic HW Problem: Speed of Bullet Impacting Block

• Thread starter doxigywlz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elastic
In summary, to solve the given problem, treat it as two collisions - first a perfectly inelastic collision between the bullet and block, and then the block hitting the spring, conserving energy. Use conservation of momentum and conservation of mechanical energy equations to solve for the initial velocity of the bullet, which is found to be 273.28 m/s. It is important to be patient, practice a lot, and understand the concepts and limitations of the theories in order to correctly solve this problem.
doxigywlz
Okay--- Here's the question:

A 12.0-g bullet is fired horizontally into a 100-g wooden block that is initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface and connected to a spring having spring constant 150 N/m. The bullet becomes embedded in the block. If the bullet-block system compresses the spring by a maximum of 80.0cm, what was the speed of the bullet at impact with the block?

I understand that this is an elastic question and I'll need to use conservation of momentum and probably conservation of kinetic energy... But the whole spring thing throws me off? What does it mean? And how do I go about solving this problem when NO velocities are given? Accept for the block being initially at rest...

I'm confused. Help. Please Help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try treating this as two colisions:

First the bullet has a (perfectly inelastic) colision with the block.
Then the block hits the spring conserving energy.

Okay, that's easy to picture... but then, isn't m1v1=m2v2? (cons. of momentum) do you solve for one of these velocities and then plug it into the cons of kinetic energy equation?

ANYBODY out there to help?

I am still confused with this problem, 2 days later.. so if anyone is willing to help, I'm willing to be helped!

Use conservation of mechanical energy and conservation of momentum.

Conservation of momentum

[tex] m_{bullet}v_{bullet} = (m_{bullet} + m_{block})v_{both} [/tex]

Conservation of Mechanical energy

[tex] \frac{1}{2}(m_{bullet} + m_{block})v_{both}^{2} = \frac{1}{2}kx_{max}^{2} [/tex]

do you need more help than that?

Last edited:
no, thank you. i don't know how you know all this stuff but i wish i had your brain

doxigywlz said:
no, thank you. i don't know how you know all this stuff but i wish i had your brain

Well if you really want to know... Being patient, practicing alot!, making sure you understand the concepts and the LIMITATIONS! of the theories. :smile:

the final answer for Vi=273.28 m/s

1. What is the purpose of solving elastic HW problem regarding the speed of bullet impacting block?

The purpose of solving this problem is to understand the physical principles and equations involved in the collision between a bullet and a block. This can help researchers and engineers in designing better bulletproof materials and structures, as well as in forensic investigations to determine the speed of a bullet based on the impact on a target.

2. What factors affect the speed of a bullet impacting a block?

The speed of a bullet impacting a block is affected by various factors such as the mass and velocity of the bullet, the density and composition of the block, and the angle of impact. The elasticity and temperature of the materials also play a role in the speed of impact.

3. How is the speed of a bullet calculated using elastic HW problem?

The speed of a bullet can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy in an elastic collision. The equations used include the momentum equation (p=mv) and the kinetic energy equation (KE=1/2mv^2). By solving these equations, the initial speed of the bullet can be determined.

4. Can the speed of a bullet impacting a block be accurately measured using elastic HW problem?

Yes, the speed of a bullet impacting a block can be accurately measured using elastic HW problem. However, this requires precise and accurate measurements of the mass and velocity of the bullet, as well as the properties of the block. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and imperfections in the materials can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. How can solving elastic HW problem be useful in real-life situations?

Solving elastic HW problem can be useful in various real-life situations, such as in forensic investigations to determine the speed of a bullet in a crime scene, or in the design and testing of bulletproof materials and structures for military and law enforcement purposes. It can also help in understanding the physics behind other types of collisions and impacts, such as car crashes and sports injuries.