Elastic Collision Problem: Solving for Velocities with Conservation of Momentum

In summary, the conversation is discussing a head-on elastic collision between two balls with different masses. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are used to find the velocities of the balls after the collision. The equations used are Mi1Vi1+Mi2Vi2=Mf1Vf1+Mf2Vf2 and KEi=KEf. The conversation also addresses the use of the variable "u" to represent velocities after the collision. Finally, the conversation mentions that one mass is three times the other and suggests using the equations from a specific link to help solve the problem.
Jordash

Homework Statement

Two elastic balls, one with mass m = 50 g and the other with mass M = 3m experience a head-on elastic collision after initially traveling in opposite directions at the same speed v = 15 m/s.

Use the conservation of momentum strategy to obtain symbolic expressions and numerical values
for the velocities of the two balls after the collision. (One of the answers is 3E1.)

Homework Equations

Mi1Vi1+Mi2Vi2=Mf1Vf1+Mf2Vf2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that the initial Velocities are going to be the same so

M1+M2(Vi)=M1Vf1+M2Vf2

Would be correct

I'm not sure how you would solve this problem because you are looking for 2 unknowns?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
The Kinetic Energy is conserved

So I guess KEi=KEf

or

KEi=1/2M1Vi1^2+1/2M2Vi2^2
KEf=1/2M1Vf1^2+1/2M2Vf2^2

Where would I go from there?

Last edited:
Weren't you complaining about having 2 unknowns?

So don't you have 2 equations?

Ok, I used this equation:

Vi1+Vi2=Vf1+Vf2
Vi1-Vi2=Vf1-Vf2

which would mean

15m/s + -15m/s=Vf1+Vf2
0=Vf1+Vf2
or
Vf1=-Vf2

and

15m/s- -15m/s=Vf1-Vf2
15+15
30m/s=Vf1-Vf2

30m/s=Vf1-Vf1

what am I doing wrong?

One mass is 3 times the other.

Oh yeah, good point

I'm trying to take that into account but I'm still lost I think it's because I'm really rusty on Algebra

Jordash said:
I'm trying to take that into account but I'm still lost I think it's because I'm really rusty on Algebra

Also try using the equations at the link I supplied.

Kinetic energy ... you know that ½mv² thing is also conserved.
Momentum is conserved.

Write them out carefully and solve..

1. What is elastic momentum?

Elastic momentum is the measure of how much an object resists changes in its motion due to the forces acting on it. It is a property of an object's motion and is directly related to its mass and velocity.

2. How is elastic momentum different from regular momentum?

Elastic momentum takes into account the elasticity of an object, meaning its ability to return to its original shape after being deformed by a force. Regular momentum only considers an object's mass and velocity.

3. What are some real-life examples of elastic momentum?

One example of elastic momentum is a bouncing ball. When a ball is dropped, it compresses upon impact and then bounces back to its original shape, due to its elastic properties. Another example is a spring, which can stretch or compress and then return to its original length.

4. How is elastic momentum calculated?

Elastic momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The resulting value is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

5. How does elastic momentum affect collisions?

In collisions between two objects, the total elastic momentum of the system should remain constant. This means that if one object gains elastic momentum, the other object must lose an equal amount. This is known as the law of conservation of elastic momentum.