Elastic PE, gravity and SHM

In summary: I don't understand what else you want.In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a particle suspended on an elastic string and fixed at a point. The particle's motion is said to be simple harmonic until it reaches the equilibrium point, and then it begins to oscillate harmonically up and down past the equilibrium position. The equations for the particle's motion on both sides of the equilibrium position are the same. The conversation also addresses the question of what happens to the motion of the particle after it passes the equilibrium point and discusses the equation of motion and how to solve for the particle's speed.
pc0019
My first post here! I signed up a few minutes to correct someone... then deleted my post when I realized I was on about something entirely different. Ahem.

Anyway, have a look at this diagram:

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/c8911ecf7e.jpg [Broken]

Particle P is suspended on an elastic string fixed at O, natural length = 'l', equilibium point is ( l + d ) below O, and 'x' is the distance the particle has been pulled down to.

Correct me if this is wrong. If you release P its motion will be simple harmonic, at least until it reaches the equilibrium point. But what happens to its motion after that? Once " OP < l ", its motion is like a normal particle under gravity but how does it move when " l < OP < l + d "?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

pc0019 said:
Correct me if this is wrong. If you release P its motion will be simple harmonic, at least until it reaches the equilibrium point. But what happens to its motion after that? Once " OP < l ", its motion is like a normal particle under gravity but how does it move when " l < OP < l + d "?

Hi pc0019! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The equilibrium position is where the string is stretched, but the weight of the particle (particle?) exactly balances the tension in the string.

The equations are exactly the same on both sides of the equilibrium position (for OP > l, of course).

So it oscillates harmonically up and down past the equilibrium position. :smile:

Interesting. Being an elastic string and not a rigid spring, I'd think that positive tension must be maintained in order to get SHM. Assuming the string is semi-Hookean (restoring force proportional to positive displacement), you'd get SHM as long as x < d. (It will oscillate about the equilibrium point, as tiny-tim says.)

Thanks, tiny-tim!

OK, if I understand both of you correctly, the particle (A level maths student :"]) will act simple-harmonically when " l < OP < l + d + x ", ie motion through 'd' mirrors the motion through 'x' until (x - d) and if d = x, the motion of the particle would be exactly the same as a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface?

I think I must have got something horribly wrong because that doesn't add up (metaphorically speaking)? I was thinking that motion through 'd' would be similair to, but not precisely SHM.

Thanks for the link btw Doc Al :smile:

Last edited:
pc0019 said:
Thanks, tiny-tim!

OK, if I understand both of you correctly, the particle (A level maths student :"]) will act simple-harmonically when " l < OP < l + d + x ", ie motion through 'd' mirrors the motion through 'x' until (x - d) and if d = x, the motion of the particle would be exactly the same as a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface?

I think I must have got something horribly wrong because that doesn't add up (metaphorically speaking)? I was thinking that motion through 'd' would be similair to, but not precisely SHM.

Thanks for the link btw Doc Al :smile:

(oh, it's a maths student on the end of the string … that makes more sense! :smile:)

I'm confused … what doesn't add up? :confused:

Have you written out the equation of motion? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(oh, it's a maths student on the end of the string … that makes more sense! :smile:)

Well it will be soon, what with exams and all... :wink:

What I don't understand, is how my statement "if d = x, the motion of the particle would be exactly the same as a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface" could be true.

I don't know what you mean by 'equation of motion'. This is conjecture, although the question that got me thinking asked for the time between "OP = l + d + x ", to the point where the string becomes 'slack' - when "OP = l" I think...

pc0019 said:
What I don't understand, is how my statement "if d = x, the motion of the particle would be exactly the same as a spring on a frictionless horizontal surface" could be true.

Sorry … still can't see anything surprising about that. :confused:
I don't know what you mean by 'equation of motion'.

I mean an equation relating acceleration to forces and distances.

Or an equation beginning x'' = …

How will you solve this without an equation?
… the question that got me thinking asked for the time between "OP = l + d + x ", to the point where the string becomes 'slack' - when "OP = l" I think...

oh, you didn't mention that x > d.

But you still need an equation. :smile:

Sorry, the question actually asks for the speed, not the time.

tiny-tim said:
oh, you didn't mention that x > d.

x is not necceserally greater than d, although in the question it is. 'x' isn't displacement. I am using T = mg = [λ (x + d)]/l

So, for x > d, this is happening:

http ://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3192/shm2qa4.jpg

Where, when the displacement is 0, P is at the equilibrium position, and the blue lines are when the string is slack and P moves freely under gravity. And where x = d there is full SHM, and where x < d, chop off the graph somewhere above the equilibrium position and stick it together. To use the proper technical terms. Sorry if I am repeating myself but I want to make sure I am understood correctly.

In the question, the modulus of elasticity = 4g ~ 39.2, l = 0.8, d = 0.05, x-max = 0.1, T = (pi/7), m = 0.25.

Using initial energy = final energy, EPE(0.55125) = GPE(0.3675) + KE, therefore v = 0.7root3.

As such I don't need to model the motion, but I thought it would be useful to know.

pc0019 said:
Sorry, the question actually asks for the speed, not the time.

As such I don't need to model the motion, but I thought it would be useful to know.

If you're only asked for the speed, then just use the energy equation (which I think you have done).

1. What is Elastic Potential Energy (PE)?

Elastic PE is the potential energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of potential energy that is associated with elastic materials, such as springs or rubber bands.

2. How does gravity affect Elastic PE?

Gravity plays a role in the potential energy of any object, including elastic objects. When an elastic object is stretched or compressed, it gains potential energy due to the work done by gravity against the force of the object's weight.

3. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

SHM is a type of motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium position. It is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

4. How are Elastic PE and SHM related?

Elastic PE is directly related to SHM, as the potential energy of an object in SHM is a result of its displacement from its equilibrium position. As the object oscillates, its potential energy is constantly changing between elastic PE and kinetic energy.

5. Can Elastic PE and SHM be found in real-life situations?

Yes, Elastic PE and SHM can be observed in many real-life situations, such as the motion of a pendulum, the bouncing of a spring, or the vibrations of a guitar string. Understanding these concepts can help explain and predict the behavior of many physical systems.