1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Elastic potensial energy

1. Sep 11, 2010 #1
    Who can explain me why we need to find an average force in proving theorem work=elastic potensial energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If elastic potential energy (lets call it U) is the only energy involved, then W = - U. Remember, in using Hookes law, that if W = force times distance, the spring force is not constant, so you need to use calculus to find the work, or simply note that the spring force varies from 0 to its max value of kx.

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    I do not know calculus so please can someone explaın me wıthout usıng calculus

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the initial force in the spring is 0, and the force varies linearly with x (F=kx) as it is stretched, then at its maximum point of stretch , the force is F=kx, where x is at its maximum. So the average force during that period of stretch is just (0 + kx)/2, or F_average =kx/2. Now use that value of force in your work equation to find the work done by the spring.

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

On the graph of F vs. x, the potential energy is equal to the area under the curve between 0 and x. What constant force would have the same area underneath?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook