Elastic Potential Energy homework

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of various energies for an object hanging from a vertical spring. The object has a mass of 2.40 kg and is pulled 0.200 m downward before being released from rest. The table shows the values for kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, and total mechanical energy at different vertical positions above the release point. To calculate these values, the formula for gravitational potential energy (mgh) and the formula for elastic potential energy (1/2kx^2) are used. The conversation also mentions finding the velocity using the equation of simple harmonic motion and using that to calculate the kinetic energy. It is important to note that mechanical energy is conserved in this scenario.
bb1235
A 2.40 kg object is hanging from the end of a vertical spring. The spring constant is 41.0 N/m. The object is pulled 0.200 m downward and released from rest. Complete the table below by calculating the translational kinetic energy, the gravitational potential energy, the elastic potential energy, and the total mechanical energy E for each of the vertical positions indicated. The vertical positions h indicate distances above the point of release, where h = 0.

h (m) KE (J) PE-gravity (J) PE-elastic (J) E (J)

I know how to get PE-Gravity, mgh. And i know Trans kinetic= 1/2mv^2 but I am having trouble coming up with V^2.

And with PE elastic= 1/2kx^2 but i can't get the correct number for x. Is x the I-.200 plus h

Physics news on Phys.org
x is the displacement of the spring from it's equilibrium position. i.e. How far the spring is compressed or stretched.

Once you are able to calculate the initial elastic potential energy, you should be able to find K.E. at any point in the objects motion.

HINT: Remember that mechanical energy is conserved.

The movement of the weight as it bobs can be modeled as simple harmonic motion (at least for the first few oscillations). The equation of that motion can be described as Y as a function of time. The first derivative of that function will be velocity as a function of time. Find the time for the desired height and use that time to find the corresponding velocity.

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object due to its deformation.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy is calculated using the formula E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position.

3. What are some examples of objects with elastic potential energy?

Some examples of objects with elastic potential energy include springs, rubber bands, and trampolines. When these objects are stretched or compressed, they store potential energy.

4. How does elastic potential energy relate to kinetic energy?

Elastic potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy when the object returns to its original shape. For example, when a stretched rubber band is released, it converts its stored elastic potential energy into kinetic energy, causing it to fly forward.

5. How is elastic potential energy used in real life?

Elastic potential energy is used in various real-life applications, such as in bungee jumping, where the potential energy stored in the stretched bungee cord is converted into kinetic energy as the person jumps off a high platform. It is also used in many mechanical devices, such as shock absorbers and car suspension systems, to absorb and dissipate energy.