Can a Compressed Spring Launch You Over a 15-ft Wall?

In summary: I RIGHT IN SAYING THAT IF YOU HANG ON THE SPRING WITHOUT TOUCHING THE GROUND IT STRETCHES BY 2 FEET?Yes, that is correct.
yellowstriker
There is a "cannon" that is a 3-ft diameter tube that is 12-ft. long with a stiff spring inside. The spring will be compressed to 1/10 its normal length and held. You will be on the spring. With perfect aim you will fly through the air over a 15-ft wall and land safely in a net. The spring is 10-ft. long. When you hang on the spring w/o touvhing the ground it stretches by 2-ft. Is it possible to make it over the wall?

Physics news on Phys.org
This smells like homework!

I don't understand the problem. YOu state "you will fly through the air over a 15-ft wall and land safely in a net", then ask "is it possible to make it over the wall". Didn't you just say it was??

I guess the problem is to find the potential energy stored in the spring when it is compressed, convert that to kinetic energy as you leave the cannon to find your initial speed and then use kinematics to determine if the maximum point of the trajectory really is more than 15 ft. To do that, you need to know the "spring constant" for the spring.

That's probably the point of "When you hang on the spring w/o touvhing the ground it stretches by 2-ft." but, while I know my weight and so could find the force on the spring when I hang on it I don't know yours so my solution wouldn't necessarily work for you! Does the problem give a weight for the person?

yellowstriker said:
There is a "cannon" that is a 3-ft diameter tube that is 12-ft. long with a stiff spring inside. The spring will be compressed to 1/10 its normal length and held. You will be on the spring. With perfect aim you will fly through the air over a 15-ft wall and land safely in a net. The spring is 10-ft. long. When you hang on the spring w/o touvhing the ground it stretches by 2-ft. Is it possible to make it over the wall?

The condition for success is:

Spring potential energy > mgh + KEtop where h is the height of the wall and KEtop is your kinetic energy at maximum height (vertical speed = 0). There has to be some extra energy in the spring to provide horizontal acceleration to give you a horizontal velocity to actually get over the wall but ignore that for the moment

So:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}kD^2 > mgh[/tex]

To determine K, we know that it stretches 2 feet due to your weight so:

kd=mg where d =2 so k = mg/2

I think you will find that the inequality is satisfied leaving more than enough for the needed Kinetic energy to provide horizontal travel.

AM

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a result of the elastic properties of the object, such as its ability to return to its original shape after being deformed.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

Elastic potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This formula applies to any object that can be stretched or compressed, such as a spring or rubber band.

3. What factors affect the amount of elastic potential energy in an object?

The amount of elastic potential energy in an object is affected by its spring constant, the amount of stretch or compression, and the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. A higher spring constant or larger displacement will result in a greater amount of elastic potential energy.

4. How is elastic potential energy related to work?

Elastic potential energy and work are closely related. When an external force is applied to stretch or compress an object, work is done on the object and elastic potential energy is stored. This stored energy can then be converted back into work when the object is released and returns to its original shape.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic potential energy?

Some common examples of elastic potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, a trampoline, and a bow and arrow. These objects all have the ability to store and release energy due to their elastic properties.