Elastic Potential: U and F Explained for James

In summary, colleagues were discussing the relationship between elastic potential and force in a flexible spring moved from its initial position, with one person questioning the presence of the vt term in the equation. Another person clarified that the term is not necessary and provided a more simplified version of the formula using the chain rule. They also explained that the derivative of (x-x0)^2 is 2(x-x0), which results in the final formula for force being -k(x-x0).
James Starligh
Collegues,

please just remind me

if I have elastic potential U=( K(x-X0)^2 )/2 for the flexible spring moved on X distance from the initial X0 position So I have I have elastic force F=K(x0+vt-x) which is the derivative of the U. Its not clear for me why vt term which should be equal to x in this equation is present ? From the general assumption (x-X0)^2 should be x^2-2*X*X0+X0^2 where is the vt term here?

James

Physics news on Phys.org
what's vt?

looks like you differentiated incorrectly.

x = V (velosity) * t (time)
both of that formulas are from textbooks.

Reasonable U= (Kx^2)/2 so force = kx. wehat fould be force if U=( K(x-X0)^2 )/2 in case when we moved body from the initial position (Xo) on X. The delta X should give us velosity should it?

x = vt is for a body moving at constant velocity for a time t. I wouldn't have thought this was the case here. So we have simply

[itex]U = \frac{1}{2}k(x - x_0)^2[/itex]

[itex]F = -\frac{dU}{dx} = -k(x - x_0)[/itex] (having used chain rule)

The minus sign in front of the k indicates that the force is in the -x direction.

Thanks!

Some calculus:
In the F=K(x0+vt-x) dealing with the constant velosity vt should be equal to 0, shouldn't it?

In the chain rule we have f(x)= x-x0 and g(y)=y^2 so solving it we obtain that (x-xo)' should be 1. I don't understand why its not 0.

James

James Starligh said:
In the F=K(x0+vt-x) dealing with the constant velosity vt should be equal to 0, shouldn't it?

Don't understand why you're bringing in vt, especially since you seem to have both x and vt in this equation. Stick with just x, unless you're sure that x really does vary with time as x = vt.

James Starligh said:
In the chain rule we have f(x)= x-x0 and g(y)=y^2 so solving it we obtain that (x-xo)' should be 1. I don't understand why its not 0.

[itex] \frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{2}k(x - x_0)^2 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{du}u^2 \frac {du}{dx}[/itex]

in which [itex]u = (x - x_0)[/itex] so [itex] \frac{du}{dx} = 1[/itex]

and [itex]\frac{d}{du}u^2 = 2u[/itex]

So [itex] \frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{2}k(x - x_0)^2 =k(x - x_0)[/itex].

Likes 1 person

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This type of energy is associated with elastic materials, such as springs or rubber bands, which have the ability to return to their original shape after being stretched or compressed.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The elastic potential energy of an object can be calculated using the formula U = 1/2kx^2, where U is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What is the relationship between elastic potential energy and force?

Elastic potential energy and force are directly proportional. This means that as the elastic potential energy of an object increases, so does the force applied to it. Similarly, as the elastic potential energy decreases, the force also decreases.

4. What is the difference between elastic potential energy and elastic potential force?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object, while elastic potential force is the force exerted by an object due to its elastic potential energy. In other words, elastic potential energy is a measure of an object's stored energy, while elastic potential force is a measure of the force that energy can exert.

5. How does elastic potential energy play a role in everyday life?

Elastic potential energy can be found in many everyday objects and activities. Examples include the energy stored in a stretched rubber band, the energy stored in a compressed spring, and the energy that allows a bouncy ball to bounce. Elastic potential energy is also used in many devices, such as shock absorbers in cars and trampolines.