1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Rope

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Bungee jumpers use an elastic rope to halt their fall when they are just a short distance from the ground. Using the idea of stored energy, explain whether heavy jumpers should use a shorter or longer length of rope than lighter jumpers.

2. Relevant equations

W=mg
    strain energy = 1/2*k*x

3. The attempt at a solution
    The work here is done my the weight of the jumper. We have W=mg. Assume that k is constant for a rope, we have that F=mg=k*Delta x ==> Delta x is larger when m is larger, so the jumper might hight the ground. He should use a shorter rope.

This is how i would answer the question, but it doesn't use the concept of stored energy and I was hoping someone could help me with that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    I don't think the assumption that k remains the same for the longer and shorter ropes is valid. If the ropes are identical in every respect except their length, then their effective k should differ, similar to the case of springs being attached in series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook