1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic Spring

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1
    Hi There,
    Iam having trouble with this question:

A block B of mass 5 kg is fastened to one end of each of two springs. The other ends of the springs are attached to fixed points A and C, 4 metres apart on a smooth horizontal surface, as shown in the diagram <the link contains the file>.

http://s3.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ZAI1AKPYV05L1MUR0PJY6RRMP

Spring AB has natural length 2 metres and modulus of elasticity 30 N, while BC has natural length 1 metre and modulus 40 N (you may assume that the springs meet at the centre of B).

(i)Find the length of AB when B is in its natural equilibrium position.

now if extension = length of the spring - natural length
    Iam i required to find out the length of the spring?
    If i am then using hooke's law T=kx, 5g=30x/2 i get x= 3.26 as the extension.
    :confused:
    I would appreciate some help
    thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not an easy one. There are a few things to think about. Here's how I would proceed.

1° The total system, while stretched, measures 4 m, but the relaxed lenght of AB is 2m, and the relaxed lenght of BC is 1m.. SOoo if we call [itex]\Delta l_{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex] the lenght by which each spring is streched, we get the equation

[tex]4 = 2 + 1 + \Delta l_{AB} - \Delta l_{BC}[/tex]

(Why [itex]- \Delta l_{BC}[/itex] ? Because the [itex]\Delta l[/itex]s represent stretching in two oposite directions, so [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex] itself will be negative. Thefor, if we want the sum to add up to 4, we must substract [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex], not add it.)

Or, more simply,

[tex]\Delta l_{BC} = \Delta l_{AB} - 1 \ \ (*)[/tex]

2° In the case we're interested in, the mass B is in equilibrium position. This is fancy words to say that [itex]\Sigma F = 0[/itex], so we also have the equation

[tex]0 = -k_{AB}x_{AB} - k_{BC}x_{BC}[/tex]

Or, since at equilibrium position, these x represent what we have called [itex]\Delta l_{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex], we get, making use of relation (*):

[tex]0= -30\Delta l_{AB} - 40(\Delta l_{AB} - 1)[/tex]

Allowing you to find what you were looking for.

Side note: We could also have supposed [itex]\Delta l_{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex] to be both positive, but it would have made a mess because [itex]\Delta l_{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex] still represent stretching in two oposite directions: towards the right for AB, and towards the left for BC. So, this means that we would be considering a stretching of the spring AB to the right as positive, left as negative. But also considering a stretching of spring BC to the left as positive, right as negative! The consequence of this subtelty would be apparent in the equation of motion [tex]0 = -k_{AB}x_{AB} + k_{BC}x_{BC}[/tex] where we would have taken opposite signs for the force of the different springs. Again, that is because our setting [itex]\Delta l_{AB}[/itex] and [itex]\Delta l_{BC}[/itex] as positive implied that displacement to the right of the mass means a positive [itex]x_{AB}[/itex] but a negative [itex]x_{BC}[/itex]. But the forces by both springs are not opposite; they are in the same direction. Hence we must adjust the sign of k.

4. Jan 26, 2005 #3
    cheers thx for sharing your ideas
    as a sidenote should the -30 be -15 if k= lambda/l

5. Jan 26, 2005 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

what are lambda and l?

6. Jan 26, 2005 #5
    l is the natural length
    lambda is modulus of elasticity

7. Jan 26, 2005 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't really know what the modulus of elasticty is. I thought it was the same as the spring constant k.

If you know what the relation between the modulus of elasticity and the spring constant is, then there shoudln't be a problem.

Out of curiosity, what is the relation between the modulus of elasticity and the spring constant ?

Thanks

8. Jan 26, 2005 #7
    spring constant depends on the length of the spring, if the 2 springs made by the same material, the longer one has a smaller spring constant

the elasticity modulus is the property of a material, it doesn't not depend on its physical size...

9. Jan 26, 2005 #8

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How are they related mathematically in temrs of k, lambda and relaxed lenght l ?

10. Jan 26, 2005 #9
    k=lambda/l

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?