1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elasticity and Young's Modulus

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a metal bar of length L, cross-sectional area A, equilibrium atomic separation x, and Young's modulus E. When a tension force F is applied to the bar, it causes an extension ΔL. Calculate the atomic force constant k by deriving expressions for (a) the number of chains of atoms in any cross section, (b) the number of atoms in a single chain of length L, (c) the microscopic extension Δx between atoms, and (d) the tensile force f between atoms. (e) Write f= kΔx and show that k=Ex. (f) Calculate the value of k for a typical metal for which E = 1.2 GN/m[itex]^{2}[/itex] and x=0.16 nm.

2. Relevant equations

f=kΔx

k=Ex

stress = modulus x strain

F/A = E ΔL/L

ΔL= FL/(EA)

3. The attempt at a solution

Part f is probably the only part of the problem I feel confident about doing. As far parts a through e, I can't make heads or tails of how to derive the expressions involving atomic separation x. This problem seems to somewhat relate Hooke's law with elastic materials and a picture on my book describes the interatomic forces in the material as spring-like.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    What is the difference between the modulus of elasticity in compresão and modulus of elasticity in tension?
    Which Modulus of elasticity should employ a finite element model?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook