1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elasticity in colloids (gels, jellies)

1. Mar 15, 2004 #1
    I have a question on finding elasticity of colloids.

I am using Ultrasonics testing on testing the different elasticity of gelatine with different concentrations of additives, ie, salt, sugar.

From the ultrasonics data, I calculated the attenuation coefficient and the velocity (speed of sound) of the gelatine.

there is an equation related to the modulus of elasticity:

V= sqrt (C/P)

where V is the speed of sound, C is the elastic constant and p is the density.

however, I dont know the denisty of the sample I tested. So, is there other ways to calcuate the density with the attenuation coef and velocity? or is there another formula that can solve my problem?

Please help....:(
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should be simple to calculate the density of your sample- I suspect that "additives" like salt, sugar, etc. won't noticably affect the average density so you might get away with just taking a sample of your gelatin, finding its volume and mass and dividing!

I would recommend making up a new batch with the additives and doing the same just to be sure that the density hasn't changed significantly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?