• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Elctromagnestism diagram physics question

• Thread starter soulja101
  • Start date
wats elctromagnestimsand how do you draw those diagrams with the circles and the dot.

Answers and Replies

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Have you looked anywhere for the answers to this question? "What is electromagnetism" should be easily answered through a quick google search, or by reading through your textbook.

What diagrams do you mean; can you please elaborate?

ranger
Gold Member
I think he means the diagrams that shows the direction of the magnetic field around the conductor with respect to the direction of the current. The "dot" means the current is directed towards you and the magnetic field will be counterclockwise.

diagrams

the ones with the circle and the x. the have lines around them showing the magnetic field.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I think he means the diagrams that shows the direction of the magnetic field around the conductor with respect to the direction of the current. The "dot" means the current is directed towards you and the magnetic field will be counterclockwise.
Ahh, that makes sense now. I was sat here wondering what these diagrams meant! Thanks for helping with my confusion, ranger!

ranger
Gold Member
the ones with the circle and the x. the have lines around them showing the magnetic field.
The "x" indicates the current is going away from you and the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to that of the "dot".

EDIT: here is an easier way to remember it. Think of the entity ("x" or "dot") in the middle of the magnetic field circles like an arrow. When an arrow is coming at you, you see the tip or a dot. If you are firing the arrow i.e arrow moving away from you, you see the rear which looks like an "x".

Last edited: