1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elctromagnestism diagram physics question

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    wats elctromagnestimsand how do you draw those diagrams with the circles and the dot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you looked anywhere for the answers to this question? "What is electromagnetism" should be easily answered through a quick google search, or by reading through your textbook.

What diagrams do you mean; can you please elaborate?

4. Jan 17, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

I think he means the diagrams that shows the direction of the magnetic field around the conductor with respect to the direction of the current. The "dot" means the current is directed towards you and the magnetic field will be counterclockwise.

5. Jan 17, 2007 #4
    diagrams

the ones with the circle and the x. the have lines around them showing the magnetic field.

6. Jan 17, 2007 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ahh, that makes sense now. I was sat here wondering what these diagrams meant! Thanks for helping with my confusion, ranger!

7. Jan 17, 2007 #6

ranger

Gold Member

The "x" indicates the current is going away from you and the direction of the magnetic field is opposite to that of the "dot".

EDIT: here is an easier way to remember it. Think of the entity ("x" or "dot") in the middle of the magnetic field circles like an arrow. When an arrow is coming at you, you see the tip or a dot. If you are firing the arrow i.e arrow moving away from you, you see the rear which looks like an "x".

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?