Elecron spin

• Thread starter o_neg
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

Is it possible for an electron to change the sign of its spin (under some interaction)?

i saw that some of the calculations in the Ising model assumes that the electron is changing its spin sign if it reduce the energy of interaction with its neighbors

Thanks,
Ori.

Answers and Replies

nrqed
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi,

Is it possible for an electron to change the sign of its spin (under some interaction)?

i saw that some of the calculations in the Ising model assumes that the electron is changing its spin sign if it reduce the energy of interaction with its neighbors

Thanks,
Ori.
The spin of the electron is always 1/2. What can change is a component of the spin along some axis. For example, the z component of the spin can change from -1/2 to 1/2 or vice versa through interactions.

The spin of the electron is always 1/2. What can change is a component of the spin along some axis. For example, the z component of the spin can change from -1/2 to 1/2 or vice versa through interactions.
Thats make more sense to me , Thanks.

I agree with nrged + Probability of getting 1/2 or -1/2 at the time of continuous measurement is 1/2 . I mean 50-50 :)

alxm
Science Advisor
I agree with nrged + Probability of getting 1/2 or -1/2 at the time of continuous measurement is 1/2 . I mean 50-50 :)
That'd depend entirely on the system.