Can Electrons Change Spin Sign?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an electron changing its spin sign under certain interactions and the calculations in the Ising model that assume this change. It is stated that while the spin of an electron is always 1/2, its spin component along a certain axis can change through interactions. The conversation also mentions the probability of an electron having a spin of 1/2 or -1/2 during continuous measurement, which is 50-50 depending on the system.
o_neg
Hi,

Is it possible for an electron to change the sign of its spin (under some interaction)?

i saw that some of the calculations in the Ising model assumes that the electron is changing its spin sign if it reduce the energy of interaction with its neighbors

Thanks,
Ori.

Physics news on Phys.org
o_neg said:
Hi,

Is it possible for an electron to change the sign of its spin (under some interaction)?

i saw that some of the calculations in the Ising model assumes that the electron is changing its spin sign if it reduce the energy of interaction with its neighbors

Thanks,
Ori.
The spin of the electron is always 1/2. What can change is a component of the spin along some axis. For example, the z component of the spin can change from -1/2 to 1/2 or vice versa through interactions.

nrqed said:
The spin of the electron is always 1/2. What can change is a component of the spin along some axis. For example, the z component of the spin can change from -1/2 to 1/2 or vice versa through interactions.

Thats make more sense to me , Thanks.

I agree with nrged + Probability of getting 1/2 or -1/2 at the time of continuous measurement is 1/2 . I mean 50-50 :)

SuperStringboy said:
I agree with nrged + Probability of getting 1/2 or -1/2 at the time of continuous measurement is 1/2 . I mean 50-50 :)

That'd depend entirely on the system.

What is spin sign?

Spin sign is a property of electrons that refers to the direction of their spin. It can be either "up" or "down" and is an important factor in determining an electron's behavior and interactions with other particles.

Can electrons change spin sign?

Yes, electrons can change spin sign through processes such as scattering, collisions with other particles, or interactions with magnetic fields. However, the probability of a spin flip is dependent on various factors, such as energy levels and magnetic fields.

Why is the ability of electrons to change spin sign important?

The ability of electrons to change spin sign is important because it allows for a wider range of interactions and behaviors in particle physics. It also plays a crucial role in various technologies, such as magnetic storage and spintronics.

How do scientists study the spin sign of electrons?

Scientists study the spin sign of electrons through experiments that involve measuring the properties and behavior of particles in different conditions. This can include using high-energy particle accelerators, magnetic fields, and detectors to observe the effects of spin sign on electron behavior.

Are there any applications for the understanding of electron spin sign?

Yes, the understanding of electron spin sign has many applications in technology, such as in magnetic storage devices, quantum computing, and spin-based electronics. It also has implications in areas such as astrophysics and cosmology, where the behavior of particles at the subatomic level can have an impact on the larger scale of the universe.