Which equation is correct for EMF: V-Ir or V=EMF-Ir?

• Thread starter RoryP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the two equations for EMF, one being EMF=V-Ir and the other being V=EMF-Ir. The individual is unsure which equation is correct and seeks clarification. However, after thinking it through, they realize that V=EMF-Ir must be the correct equation due to the maximum potential difference between two electrodes and the voltage being smaller than the EMF due to internal resistance.
RoryP
was just reading through my physics revision book when i noticed one of the equations for E.M.F
In class and the exams I am sure we used EMF= V-Ir, but the book said that V=EMF-Ir.
was just wondering which one was right so that i don't make a mistake in the future!
any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
ignore that one guys, i just thought through it and it is V=EMF-Ir.
it has to be becuase the EMF is the maximum potential difference between 2 electrodes and the voltage is smaller than the EMF due to internal resistance!

Both equations are correct, as they represent different ways of expressing the same relationship between EMF, voltage, and current. The first equation, EMF = V-Ir, is known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the EMF of the source. The second equation, V = EMF-Ir, is known as Ohm's law, which states that the voltage drop across a resistor is equal to the product of the current and the resistance. Both equations are frequently used in different contexts and can be interchanged depending on the specific problem being solved. It is important to understand the underlying principles behind each equation and use them appropriately in different situations.

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, and it is a measure of the electrical energy produced by a source such as a battery or generator. In simpler terms, it is the voltage created by a power source.

2. What is the relationship between EMF, current, and resistance?

The relationship between EMF, current, and resistance is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage (EMF) and inversely proportional to the resistance. In other words, as the EMF increases, the current increases, and as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

3. How is EMF measured?

EMF is measured in units of volts (V) using a voltmeter. This device is connected in parallel to the power source in a circuit to measure the voltage. It is important to note that EMF is a potential difference, meaning it is measured between two points in a circuit rather than at a single point.

4. What is the difference between V-Ir and V=EMF-Ir?

V-Ir is a simplified version of Ohm's Law, where the voltage (V) is equal to the product of the current (I) and the resistance (R). On the other hand, V=EMF-Ir takes into account the additional voltage created by the power source (EMF). This is necessary in circuits where the EMF is not equal to the voltage drop across the resistance.

5. How does EMF affect the flow of electricity in a circuit?

EMF is the driving force that causes the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is responsible for creating a potential difference that allows electrons to move from the negative terminal of a power source to the positive terminal. Without EMF, there would be no flow of electricity in a circuit.