1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electic field question - geometry

1. Apr 23, 2005 #1
    I have a problem where I need to find the net electric field on a point due to 6 charges. I attached the diagram. It is a pentagon of 5 charges with a 6th charge in the center. Each side of the pentagon is 4 mm, and there is a point P on the center of one side. I found that the line from point P to point 1 of the pentagon is 4.99mm, using the law of cosines. I need to figure out what the angle is at point P from the line to the side of the pentagon (the one I marked with a question mark), so I can find the x and y components of this line. I am not sure if the line bisects the 54° angle at point 1. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2005 #2
    Are you trying to find the field at point P? All the x components cancel by symmetry..
  4. Apr 23, 2005 #3
    Yeah, but I need the angle there to find the y component of it.
  5. Apr 23, 2005 #4
    If line P to 1 is 5, then use the law of sines.

[tex] \frac{sin(a)}{A} = \frac{sin(b)}{B} [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?