1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Elective Course Dilemma

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    Ok so I was interested in programming and took up this C++ course which I withdrew from since I was taking too many credits. If I plan to apply to a top grad school (phd hopefully) does thw W on my transcript look bad? Also I now have experience with VB and MATLAB so do you think these are enough or should also I retake the C++ course to get rid of the W?
    Also are there any benefits of learning C++? Ive heard it gives you an edge when it comes to employment.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

C++ quite fast comparing to languages like java and python

for the purpose of numerical simulations at least one of C/C++/Fortran would be a good idea.

I don't remember the last time I heard anyone using VB (but then I don't specialize is computer science...)

MATLAB is quite handy but it definitely isn't as robust as languages stated above, iirc when you have a whole loads of data to work with it can get quite sluggish as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook