What are the best elective units for a Physics undergraduate degree?

In summary, the person is asking for opinions on what elective units to study while pursuing an undergraduate degree in Physics. They have been advised to consider computer science and more math units, but are also wondering if there are any other beneficial options such as engineering units. They have not provided enough information about their specific requirements or location for a complete answer to be given.
Samboy
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been following a lot of the threads recently.
I just wanted your opinions on what elective units I should study whilst doing a undergraduate degree in Physics. I've been told Computer Science units will be handy as well as more Maths but is there anything else that may be beneficial? Perhaps engineering units?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

Physics news on Phys.org
Samboy said:
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been following a lot of the threads recently.
I just wanted your opinions on what elective units I should study whilst doing a undergraduate degree in Physics. I've been told Computer Science units will be handy as well as more Maths but is there anything else that may be beneficial? Perhaps engineering units?

Many thanks in advance!

Sam

Unfortunately, you haven't provided enough information to your question.

First of all, what KIND of electives are you given? Many schools have require electives that are well outside of the major field of study. For example, don't you have liberal arts/humanities/etc. electives that you have to fulfill? For most physics students, the natural science electives are very limited because the area of study is already centered on the natural sciences.

Secondly, how many credit hours are you given to fulfill your elective requirement?

Finally, it is ALWAYS helpful to identify where in the world you are. We have people from all over the world in this forum. Always keep that in mind when you are seeking advice.

Zz.

1. What are elective units and why are they important to study?

Elective units are courses or subjects that are chosen by students based on their interests and goals. These units are not mandatory, but they allow students to explore different areas of study and personalize their education. They are important as they provide students with a well-rounded education and help them develop critical thinking and decision-making skills.

2. How do I choose the right elective units to study?

Choosing the right elective units depends on your interests, career goals, and academic strengths. Consider taking units that align with your future career path or that complement your major. It is also a good idea to talk to academic advisors or professors for guidance in selecting the best elective units for you.

3. Can I change my elective units after I have already enrolled?

It is usually possible to change elective units before the semester begins or during the add/drop period. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor or the university's policies to ensure that you don't disrupt your graduation timeline or miss any necessary prerequisites.

4. Are there any restrictions on the number of elective units I can take?

It depends on your university and program. Some universities have a limit on the number of elective units a student can take, while others offer more flexibility. It is important to check with your academic advisor or program requirements to ensure that you are on track to graduate on time.

5. Do elective units count towards my GPA?

Yes, elective units do count towards your GPA. Just like any other course, the grades you earn in your elective units will be calculated into your overall GPA. This is why it is important to choose elective units that you are genuinely interested in and willing to put effort into, as they can impact your academic standing.