Electives for an Applied Physics degree

In summary, it is important to choose electives that align with your interests and career goals. While pursuing a sub major in scientific computing would be more beneficial for your degree in applied physics, it is also important to pursue your passion for psychology. You could consider taking a psychology course as an elective or minor, while still focusing on your core subjects and the sub major. As someone with a similar degree, I chose to do a sub major in astrophysics which has opened up opportunities in the field of astronomy and space science. It is ultimately your decision, but seeking advice from academic advisors and professors can also be helpful. Best of luck!
KingBigness
So as my first year of undergraduate Applied Physics comes to a close I have to start picking electives for next year.

I have two options, I can either do 'bludgy' subjects so I can focus more on my core subjects and hence get better marks in them, or I can do a sub major which would probably look better on my record.

I am interested in mathematics and computing and was thinking of doing the "scientific computing" sub major, but I am also interested in other subjects like psychology.

My question is, what do you think would be more beneficial and if you have done a similar degree what did you choose to do?

I know in the end the decision is up to me and my interests, but I was hoping someone here could give me their personal opinion.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for reaching out for advice on your elective options for next year. I understand the importance of choosing electives that will not only enhance your skills and knowledge, but also align with your interests and career goals.

In my opinion, it would be more beneficial for you to choose the scientific computing sub major. This will not only complement your degree in applied physics, but also provide you with valuable skills in mathematics and computing that are highly sought after in the scientific and technological fields. Furthermore, having a sub major in scientific computing will make you stand out among other applicants when applying for jobs or graduate programs.

However, I also understand your interest in psychology and it is important to pursue your passion. If you have the time and resources, you could consider taking a psychology course as an elective or even as a minor. This will allow you to explore your interest in the subject without compromising on your core subjects and the sub major.

I have a similar degree in applied physics and I chose to do a sub major in astrophysics. This not only allowed me to further my knowledge in a specific area of physics, but also opened up opportunities for me in the field of astronomy and space science.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and it is important to choose electives that you are genuinely interested in. I would suggest talking to your academic advisor or professors for their input and advice as well. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1. What are electives for an Applied Physics degree?

Electives for an Applied Physics degree are additional courses that students can choose to take in order to fulfill the degree requirements. These courses allow students to customize their education and gain a deeper understanding of specific areas within the field of applied physics.

2. How many electives are required for an Applied Physics degree?

The number of electives required for an Applied Physics degree varies depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, students are required to take a certain number of elective credits in addition to the required core courses in order to complete the degree.

3. What types of electives are available for an Applied Physics degree?

There are a wide range of electives available for an Applied Physics degree, including topics such as optics, quantum mechanics, materials science, computational physics, and nuclear physics. Some programs may also offer interdisciplinary electives that combine physics with other fields such as engineering or computer science.

4. How should I choose which electives to take?

When choosing electives for an Applied Physics degree, it is important to consider your interests and career goals. You may also want to consult with an advisor or faculty member to ensure that your electives align with your academic and professional plans.

5. Can I take electives outside of the physics department?

Yes, many programs allow students to take electives outside of the physics department as long as they are related to the field of applied physics. This can offer a well-rounded education and allow students to explore other areas of interest. However, it is important to check with your institution to see if there are any restrictions on which electives can be counted towards your degree.