1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electostatics question

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    this is a true/false question:
    Metatllic vessel-to-shore bonding cables are connected to oil tankers.
    >>> I don't understand what "Metatllic vessel-to-shore bonding cables" means.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When tied to a pier, boats of all kinds use some sort of rope or cable. The statement is saying that for oil tankers, cables made of metal are used.
  4. Nov 4, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

It is common practise to earth the fuel pipes used to put gas into the tanks of automobiles in order to prevent the buildup of electrostatic charge which could create a spark. Mooring an oil tanker with a metal cable will earth it and reduce the chances of electrostatic discharges occurring.
  5. Nov 5, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do not know for shure whether oil tankers are moored with cables or rope.

That being said another point to consider is the fact that sea water is a rather good conductor. This means that the tanker will be earhted anyway so that it is most likely unnecessary to use cables.
  6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    I 've got it! Thank you to you all!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?