Electric and magnetic field

• Thread starter firavia
  • Start date
In the case of "Light" when it is considerd as an electromagnetic wave , this wave consist of an electric field and magnetic field oscillating all the time when the electric field is maximum the magnetic field is minimum and vice versa , my question is : what is the mechanism that create such oscillation and trasformation of electric field into magnetic field ??

my 2nd question is : an immobile charge is known to have only an electric field , can u give me an example about an immobile charge ??? , electron are never immobile iside an atome am I right ? so they do always have an electromagnetic field or we cant suppose that because the charge of an electron is cancelled by the charge of the proton ? ,and if not does an electron transmit electromagentic wave all the time , because of its immobility ?
can you please help giving me a descent easy book that explain such things , a book for dummies with minimum mathematical equation and lots of physical explanations .
Thank you.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Well the answer to your first question is because Mr. Ampere said so :tongue:. I can't give you an explanation as so why a changing E-field creates a changing B-field, other than to say it is simply one of the laws of electromagnetism. Maybe someone else on here knows about the subject more deeply.

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
In the case of "Light" when it is considerd as an electromagnetic wave , this wave consist of an electric field and magnetic field oscillating all the time when the electric field is maximum the magnetic field is minimum and vice versa
This is not correct. The E- and B-field are in-phase. They are both maximum at the same time and zero at the same time.

my 2nd question is : an immobile charge is known to have only an electric field , can u give me an example about an immobile charge ??? , electron are never immobile iside an atome am I right ? so they do always have an electromagnetic field or we have not tosay that because the charge of an electron is cancelled by the charge of the proton ? ,and if not does an electron transmit electromagentic wave all the time , because of its immobility ?
can you please help giving me a descent easy book that explain such things , a book for dummies with minimum mathematical equation and lots of physical explanations.
This is one of the basic results that cannot be explained using classical mechanics and led to the development of quantum mechanics. I don't know a good easy reference for quantum mechanics, but I am sure that someone here will know one.

Why both fields oscillate ??? what is the mechanism that oscillate them ??

Dale
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Why both fields oscillate ??? what is the mechanism that oscillate them ??
Maxwell's equations describe the oscillation. Have you studied Maxwell's equations?