1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric and magnetic field

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    In the case of "Light" when it is considerd as an electromagnetic wave , this wave consist of an electric field and magnetic field oscillating all the time when the electric field is maximum the magnetic field is minimum and vice versa , my question is : what is the mechanism that create such oscillation and trasformation of electric field into magnetic field ??

my 2nd question is : an immobile charge is known to have only an electric field , can u give me an example about an immobile charge ??? , electron are never immobile iside an atome am I right ? so they do always have an electromagnetic field or we cant suppose that because the charge of an electron is cancelled by the charge of the proton ? ,and if not does an electron transmit electromagentic wave all the time , because of its immobility ?
    can you please help giving me a descent easy book that explain such things , a book for dummies with minimum mathematical equation and lots of physical explanations .
    Thank you.

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    Well the answer to your first question is because Mr. Ampere said so :tongue:. I can't give you an explanation as so why a changing E-field creates a changing B-field, other than to say it is simply one of the laws of electromagnetism. Maybe someone else on here knows about the subject more deeply.

4. May 24, 2010 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

This is not correct. The E- and B-field are in-phase. They are both maximum at the same time and zero at the same time.

This is one of the basic results that cannot be explained using classical mechanics and led to the development of quantum mechanics. I don't know a good easy reference for quantum mechanics, but I am sure that someone here will know one.

5. May 24, 2010 #4
    Why both fields oscillate ??? what is the mechanism that oscillate them ??

6. May 24, 2010 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Maxwell's equations describe the oscillation. Have you studied Maxwell's equations?

7. May 24, 2010 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook