Electric and magnetic field

In summary, the question asks for the potential difference across a CRT given that electrons are accelerated from rest through a magnetic field and an electric field, but are not deflected. The solution involves using the equations for magnetic and electric forces, finding the electrons' velocity using the hint given, and using the formula for kinetic energy to calculate the potential difference. The question may be ambiguous, but it can be solved by considering the accelerating voltage in the electron gun and using the concept of a velocity selector.
dougouk

Homework Statement

Electrons are accelerated from rest in a CRT. These electrons now pass through a magnetic field of 1.50  10-2 T that is perpendicular to an electric field of 3.25  105 N/C. The electrons are not deflected. Assuming the electrons are traveling perpendicular to these fields, what is the potential difference across the CRT?
a. 1.34  103 V
b. 6.47  10-5 V
c. 1.31  10-19 V
d. 6.06  10-27 V

Homework Equations

Fm = qvB
Fe =qE
E = V/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I got stuck just trying to get the formula right...
How do i separate for V when I don't have d?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Since the electrons are not deflected, the net force on the electrons is 0.
You can find out their velocity using my hint.
Then find out their kinetic energy.
Use the formula K.E. = eV where V is the potential difference and e is the charge of an electron.

P.S. - This is not mathematics :|

Hello dougo,
You were trying to calculate V,the voltage across the plates which sets up the electric field and the question does not give enough information for you to be able to do that.The question as you presented it is ambiguous but I think you will find the voltage wanted is the accelerating voltage in the electron gun.If the electrons are accelerated from rest by a voltage V then the KE they acquire is equal to eV.From this you can calculate v,the speed of thre electrons and then use the top two equations you wrote above.You may find it useful to google "velocity selector".

Thx guys~

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by electrically charged particles and exert a force on other charged particles. Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges and exert a force on other moving charges.

2. How do electric and magnetic fields interact with each other?

An electric field can create a magnetic field by causing charged particles to move and create a current. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can create an electric field.

3. What are the units of measurement for electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are measured in volts per meter (V/m) and magnetic fields are measured in teslas (T) or gauss (G).

4. How do electric and magnetic fields affect living organisms?

Exposure to high levels of electric and magnetic fields can potentially cause health effects, such as nerve and muscle stimulation, but research is ongoing to determine the long-term effects of low levels of exposure.

5. How are electric and magnetic fields used in technology?

Electric and magnetic fields are used in a wide range of technologies, such as generators, motors, transformers, and communication devices like phones and radios.