Electric Arc Lighter: Solving Transformer Overcurrent Issues

• Thread starter lukakopa7
  • Start date
In summary, according to the OP, his 25kV transformer can generate an arc of 25 mm under humid conditions of 1 kV/mm. He also mentions that a step-up auto-transformer used in flyback mode keeps low voltage on a button switch and high voltage on the arc. However, without goals and specs, there is no solution possible.
lukakopa7
Hi. I am making an electric lighter which uses 3.7v LiPo battery(600mah), TP4056 battery protection (short circuit, overcurrent(3 Amp)) charging module, switch and 25kV transformer. The problem is that transformer has spikes that are over 3 amps and overcurrent protection gets triggered. I could bypass protection features but transformer works till batteries are discharged way to low(2.3V). Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So... You have a 25kV transformer that can draws 3A at 3.7V (~10W) and your asking about bypassing "protection features" so that you can ignite things?

I feel safe to say that there is zero chance we will want to help you do that. Anyway, not me at least.

Some projects fall into that category "if you have to ask for help, your not qualified to do it." Please be careful.

PS: you might review the PF rules about dangerous things.

Likes russ_watters
If this is for a sealed BBQ lighter? Please define your design specs rather than a general description of some parts and failures with a part you may not need.

What other inputs besides 600 mAh LiPo?

What output do you need? Estimate longevity or number of uses or ignition arcs

lukakopa7 said:
25kV transformer
Drop that.
By the time you transform 3.6V to some high voltage like that it's not just dangerous, but practically useless in this kind of function.

Rive said:
Drop that.
By the time you transform 3.6V to some high voltage like that it's not just dangerous, but practically useless in this kind of function.
Not necessarily. A step-up auto-transformer used in flyback mode keeps low voltage on a button switch and high voltage on the arc. The trick is to choose the inductance and Rs on the primary to limit the current. The breakdown voltages and gap must break the holding current so it does not persist when released. The 25kV means it can generate at least an arc of 25 mm under humid conditions of 1 kV/mm. Winding capacitance and high permeability cores can degrade the voltage, so often air coils are used in furnace gas igniters.

no solution is possible without goals and eng specs.

DaveE said:
I feel safe to say that there is zero chance we will want to help you do that.
Humm... guess I not a smart as I thought.

TonyStewart said:
Not necessarily.
If a '25kV transformer' pops up in these kind of suicidal type DIY projects then it's most likely some tesla coil or a salvaged piece of hardware from an old TV set => both are useless and just dangerous.

So: indeed not 'necessarily', but in case of staying case-relevant it's around 99.9%.

DaveE said:
Humm... guess I not a smart as I thought.
Well, as long as that 25kV stays, I sure won't provide anything but solid 'don't do that' o0)
If the OP reconsiders then we'll see.

Likes russ_watters
It's good to warn on safety but a 600 mAh battery is hardly a good source for a defibrillator but can be painful. But I'm sure some could make it lethal. I prefer not to assume the IQ of the writers.

TonyStewart said:
I prefer not to assume the IQ of the writers.
It's about all the readers.

Likes berkeman and russ_watters
Reminds me of Grade 10 electrical shop. My partner asked teacher, "can I touch this? "Yes" ... Oww.. "You said can.. not should." As a rule I propose we should never offer advice or solutions to DIY or design questions until "intent" and "design specs" or "acceptance criteria with all in & outs " exist in the original question.

TonyStewart said:
If this is for a sealed BBQ lighter? Please define your design specs rather than a general description of some parts and failures with a part you may not need.

TonyStewart said:

Hi. I m building jet powered rc plane and i need source of constant ignition.

lukakopa7 said:
The problem is that transformer has spikes that are over 3 amps and overcurrent protection gets triggered.
Welcome to PF.

What are you trying to ignite?
Maybe you could use a particular wavelength IR laser diode to ignite a gas.

lukakopa7 said:
I m building jet powered rc plane and i need source of constant ignition.
I would look for motorcycle ignition systems, then: with the high voltage parts intact and untouched, safe.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

What are you trying to ignite?
Maybe you could use a particular wavelength IR laser diode to ignite a gas.
Im using mixture of liquid butane and methanol. Yeah but device has to be small and light.

Rive said:
I would look for motorcycle ignition systems, then: with the high voltage parts intact and untouched, safe.
Yes but it is much heavier.

lukakopa7 said:
Yes but it is much heavier.
Then a mower, chainshaw or such.
Are you sure that the classic glow plug igniters used on RC models can't do the trick?

lukakopa7 said:
Im using mixture of liquid butane and methanol. Yeah but device has to be small and light.
Laser diodes are small and could produce a wavelength that would be strongly absorbed by the fuel, resulting in ignition.

Have you considered a glow plug in a combustion chamber, one that remains hot once the engine is running.

Baluncore said:
Laser diodes are small and could produce a wavelength that would be strongly absorbed by the fuel, resulting in ignition.

Have you considered a glow plug in a combustion chamber, one that remains hot once the engine is running.
I already tried glow plug from old Volkswagen golf but it uses much more power and when it got hot it melted all cables.

Rive said:
Then a mower, chainshaw or such.
Are you sure that the classic glow plug igniters used on RC models can't do the trick?
I already tried glow plug from old Volkswagen golf but it uses much more power and when it got hot it melted all cables. I already tried smaller glow plugs but it does not stay at the temperature of ignition because of the cold fuel.

lukakopa7 said:
I already tried glow plug from old Volkswagen golf ...
I recommend an exposed filament glow plug, as used for model airplane engines, not a glow plug from a diesel engine motor vehicle.
Search eBay 'glow plug igniter'
or 'Glow Plug Standard OS No.8'
Position in the combustion chamber is everything.

Thread closed temporarily for Mentor review...

Likes dlgoff
lukakopa7 said:
switch and 25kV transformer.
While some of us here at PF have done professional designs at that HV level, most have not. And as noted earlier, we need to be careful about folks who come along later and read these kinds of therad. This thread falls under the "dangerous discussion" prohibition in the PF rules, so will remain closed.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

1. What is an electric arc lighter?

An electric arc lighter is a type of lighter that uses an electric arc, rather than a flame, to ignite a fire. It works by creating a high voltage electric arc between two electrodes, which produces enough heat to ignite a flame.

2. How does an electric arc lighter solve transformer overcurrent issues?

An electric arc lighter can help solve transformer overcurrent issues by reducing the amount of current that flows through the transformer. This is because the electric arc creates a high resistance path, which limits the amount of current that can flow through it. This can help prevent overloading and overheating of the transformer.

3. What are the common causes of transformer overcurrent issues?

Transformer overcurrent issues can be caused by a variety of factors, including short circuits, overloading, and aging equipment. Other factors such as lightning strikes, power surges, and poor maintenance can also contribute to overcurrent issues.

4. Can an electric arc lighter be used in all types of transformers?

No, an electric arc lighter is not suitable for all types of transformers. It is most commonly used in small transformers, such as those used in household appliances. Larger transformers, such as those used in power grids, require more complex solutions to address overcurrent issues.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using an electric arc lighter to solve transformer overcurrent issues?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when using an electric arc lighter for this purpose. The high voltage and heat produced by the electric arc can be dangerous, so proper precautions should be taken when handling and using the lighter. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and use the lighter only as directed by the manufacturer.