Modify Bike to Generate Electricity: Electric Bicycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of modifying a gear bike to generate electricity while the wheels spin, which would then power a lightweight electric motor for easier pedaling. The person mentions their limited knowledge in physics and chemistry and asks for advice or resources on how to make this idea a reality. However, it is noted that the added weight of the motor and battery may offset the benefits of the electric assist.
jaredmt
im pretty sure a bunch of people have done this before. I am wondering if i could modify my own gear bike so that as the wheels spin, they generate electricity and is collected into a battery. then i can turn on a light-weight electric motor so the wheels will either spin on their own or just spin while I am pedaling to make it easier

i only have knowledge of Eng Physics I and Gen Chem I & II and Calc 2. I am still learning so i never really put much of the knowledge to practical use yet...

if anyone has any ideas on how i could do this or anyone who knows a website let me know. i just think this would be a cool thing to have, if hte electric motor and battery doesn't weigh too much

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could do it, but keep in mind that any assistance provided by the motor will be more than offset by the excess pedaling that you'll have to do to charge the battery. It might be worthwhile if you live in hilly country and don't mind working harder on the flat sections.

Usually electric-assist bicycles plug into the wall to charge for the very reason Danger mentioned: you'll have to work twice as hard when the battery is being charged if you charge it yourself.

1. How does a modified bike generate electricity?

A modified bike generates electricity through a process called regenerative braking. This means that when the brakes are applied, the kinetic energy of the moving bike is converted into electrical energy, which is then stored in a battery or used to power the bike's motor. The bike's pedaling motion can also be used to generate electricity through a dynamo or generator attached to the wheels.

2. What are the benefits of using a modified bike to generate electricity?

There are several benefits to using a modified bike to generate electricity. First, it is a sustainable and eco-friendly way to produce energy. Additionally, it can save money on electricity costs and provide a backup power source in case of a power outage. It also promotes physical activity and can be used as a form of transportation.

3. Can any bike be modified to generate electricity?

In theory, any bike can be modified to generate electricity. However, certain modifications may be easier to make on some bikes than others. For example, bikes with larger wheels may generate more electricity due to their larger circumference. It is also important to consider the weight of the added equipment and how it may affect the bike's performance.

4. How much electricity can a modified bike generate?

The amount of electricity generated by a modified bike depends on various factors such as the power output of the generator or dynamo, the efficiency of the conversion process, and the amount of time spent pedaling. On average, a modified bike can produce enough electricity to power small appliances or charge electronic devices.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a modified bike to generate electricity?

As with any type of bike modification, there are potential safety concerns that should be considered. It is important to properly install and maintain all equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation. Additionally, it is important to follow all safety precautions while riding the bike, such as wearing a helmet and following traffic laws. Consulting a professional or doing thorough research before making any modifications is recommended.