Electric charge and elctric filed

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a piece of plastic with a net charge of +2.00 microC and the question of how many more protons than electrons it has. The solution involves knowing the charge of a single proton and electron and using factor labeling to determine the answer.
Dx
Hiya!
Whoa!
vectors, i hate those stinkinh vectors! :wink:
Anyways, I have theis problem and don't know how to solve for it.

A piece of plastic has a net charge of +2.00 microC. How many more protons then eclectrons does this piece of plastic have?

Now i know plastic is a insulator which guessing i would say its smaller than the net charge but i saw this formula for F_net = F_1 +_ F_2 assuming this is for electrostatic Force perhaps, i donno.

How do i solve for this, please? Whats the formula i use?
whats the answer? Just kidding!

Thanks!
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need vectors here. Nor you need to know that plastic is insulator. The only thing you need is a charge of single proton and of single electron. Can you fetch that?

Charge on electron(and proton too) is 1.6*10-19 C

So from there you just do factor label.

The 2*10-6 C you were given is the net charge of all the extra protons. (well, not extra protons, just lacking electrons..but u get the picture) From there, just divide that number by the charge of a single proton and you will get your answer.

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electrical and magnetic forces. It can be either positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where other charged objects experience a force. It is created by the presence of electric charge and is represented by lines of force that point away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured using a device called an electroscope. It works by using the principle of electrostatic induction to detect the presence or absence of electric charge. The electroscope can measure both the quantity and type (positive or negative) of electric charge.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the electric potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an electric field. It is measured in units of volts (V) and is a scalar quantity. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that a charged object possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in units of joules (J) and is a vector quantity.

How does the distance between charged objects affect the electric field between them?

The electric field between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged objects increases, the electric field between them decreases. This relationship is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.