1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric-charge density

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A space has an uniform electric field
    E=(5.00 x 10^3 N/C)[itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + (6.00 x 10^3 N/C)[itex]\widehat{y}[/itex] + (7.00 x 10^3 N/C)[itex]\widehat{z}[/itex].
    Find the electric-charge density distribution p(r) in this space.

2. Relevant equations
    u = (1/2)(εo)(E^2) , where εo is the constant called the permittivity of free space and = 8.85x10^-12 C^2/N*m^2

I used the equation above, but I was unsure if I was using the correct equation. I thought I maybe should have used one of Maxwell's equations instead: div*E=(ρ)/εo

3. The attempt at a solution
    magnitude of Electric Field = sqrt((5.00 x 10^3 N/C)2 + (6.00 x 10^3 N/C)2 + (7.00 x 10^3 N/C)2)

magnitude of E = 10488.1 N/C

u = (1/2)(8.85x10^-12 C^2/N*m^2)(10488.1 N/C)^2
    u = 4.87 x 10^-4 C/m^2

Is this the correct way to solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, u is an energy density. Use the Maxwell equation. What's the divergence of the constant electric field? You know what a divergence is, right?

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3
    The divergence of a constant electric field is zero, right? I don't understand if the divergence is zero and the divergence is multiplied by the Electric field how you would get a proper answer.

5. Sep 15, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the divergence of a constant E field is zero. The divergence of the field isn't multiplied by the E field. Go back and review 'divergence'. Maxwell's equation is telling you an easy thing about the charge density. What is it?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  6. Sep 16, 2013 #5
    So the divergence of an E field is basically taking partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z of the E field, but since there are no variables in the E field that means the derivative of the constant E field is zero. Then since the constant E field has a divergence of zero, then does that mean that there cannot be a charge density distribution because the E field doesn't act like a source or a sink, and does that also mean that the charge density is also constant? The concept of divergence is really confusing to me.

7. Sep 16, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The equation is saying that if the divergence of the E field is zero, then the charge density must be zero, not just a constant, isn't it?

8. Sep 16, 2013 #7
    So if the E field is zero and the charge density is also zero, and then does it even matter what the E field has numbers? As long as the E field is constant then the charge density will always be zero.

9. Sep 16, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the numbers don't matter. Any constant field corresponds to zero charge density.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted