How to Correctly Express Electric Charge Density for a Point Charge?

In summary, the expression for the electric charge density \rho(r) of a point charge q at r^' is given by \rho(r)=\frac{q}{4*Pi*R^2}\delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}'). The n-D delta function has dimensions of (length)-n and the units of the delta function must be inverse meters for the units to make sense.
Yeldar
(src: Intro to Electrodynamics, Griffith, Problem 1.46a)
Q: Write an expression for the electric charge density [itex] \rho (r)[/itex] of a point charge [itex]q[/itex] at [itex]r^'[/itex]. Make sure that the volume integral of [itex]\rho[/itex] equals [itex]q[/itex].

Now, Closest I can seem to come up with is:

[tex] \rho(r)=\frac{q}{4*Pi*R^2}\delta(r-r^')[/tex]

But, the problem I see with this, is that while yes, integrating this over any volume [itex]V[/itex] that enclosed the point charge will return q, but that q would have to have units of charge/unit_volume which just dosent make sense. Or am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that delta function should be 3D: [itex]\delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')[/itex]. Note that the n-D delta function has dimensions of (length)-n.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry missed that. Have the [itex]\delta^3[/itex] on my paper, just forgot to type it in.

I don't understand how n-D delta functions have a dimension of (length)-n, could you explain that perhaps?

Sure, let's look at the 1D case. Consider the following integral:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\delta(x)dx=1[/tex]

The right side of that is 1. Not 1 meter or 1 Joule, just plain old 1. So if the units of dx are meters, then what must the units of the delta function be? Inverse meters.

Similar results hold for higher dimensional cases.

Okay, that makes sense.

Thanks for your help, this was driving me crazy, I couldn't figure out why units were not making sense.

1. What is electric charge density?

Electric charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume in a given space. It is denoted by the symbol ρ and is typically measured in units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

2. How is electric charge density calculated?

Electric charge density can be calculated by dividing the total electric charge by the volume in which it is contained. Mathematically, this can be expressed as ρ = Q/V, where Q is the electric charge and V is the volume.

3. What factors affect electric charge density?

The two main factors that affect electric charge density are the amount of electric charge present and the volume in which it is contained. Other factors that may influence charge density include the properties of the material in which the charge is located, and the presence of other nearby charges.

4. How does electric charge density relate to electric fields?

Electric charge density is closely related to electric fields. In fact, the magnitude of the electric field at a given point is directly proportional to the electric charge density at that point. This means that a higher charge density will result in a stronger electric field and vice versa.

5. How is electric charge density used in practical applications?

Electric charge density is an important concept in many practical applications, including in electronics, electrochemistry, and material science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electric charges in different materials and to design and optimize various devices and systems that rely on electric fields and charge distributions.