What is the Correct Electric Charge Force Diagram for a Single Charge?

In summary, the conversation revolved around deriving the formula for calculating the electric force on a charge, where one charge is subject to gravity, electric force, and tension. The forces were summed in the x and y directions, and the correct value for the charge was determined to be 2.9 x 10^-7 C, with some mistakes in the calculations initially made. The individual seeking help realized their mistakes and solved for the correct value.
Kavorka
toHp1Q2.png

I drew a force diagram of one charge with gravity downward, electric force to the right, and tension at 20 degrees left of +y. I summed the forces in the x and y directions:

Fy = Tsin20° - mg = 0

T = 0.1434 N

Fx = kq^2 / r^2 - Tcos20° = 0

q = 6.29 x 10^-12 C

The correct answer is 2.9 x 10^-7 C, though my answer is a multiple choice option so whatever I did wrong probably happens often. I'm not sure what exactly I did wrong, only that I believe q is supposed to be equal to 2Lsinθ√((mg/k)tanθ) through some derivation. Some pointers would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Kavorka said:
Fy = Tsin20° - mg = 0

T = 0.1434 N

Fx = kq^2 / r^2 - Tcos20° = 0

Did you use the correct trig functions?

Thank you! I mixed my sine and cosine up and I also didn't solve for q properly (didn't take square root of everything). Plugging everything back in I got the right answer.

1. What is an electric charge force diagram?

An electric charge force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on charged particles. It shows the direction and magnitude of the forces between charged particles, based on their charges and distances from each other.

2. How is an electric charge force diagram created?

An electric charge force diagram is created by using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The direction of the force is determined by the charges of the particles (opposite charges attract, like charges repel).

3. What do the arrows in an electric charge force diagram represent?

The arrows in an electric charge force diagram represent the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the charged particles. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the force, while the direction of the arrow indicates the direction of the force.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the electric force?

The electric force between charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. As the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.

5. What is the difference between an electric charge force diagram and an electric field diagram?

An electric charge force diagram shows the forces between charged particles, while an electric field diagram shows the strength and direction of the electric field around a charged particle. The electric field is a measure of the force per unit charge that a charged particle would experience at a given point in space.