1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Charge in a Magnetic Field

1. Apr 1, 2005 #1
    1) For a particle of mass m and a charge of q moving in a circular path in a magnetic field B, show that its kinetic energy is proportional to r^2, the square of the radius of the curvature of the path.

I started off with the definition of KE: (mv)^2/2 and the fact that a = v^2/r, where F = m(v^2/r).

Then, I thought;

mv^2 = 2*KE and mv^2 = F*r so r = (2KE)/F so r^2 = (4KE^2)/ F^2, but this is probably wrong. What should I do if so?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2005 #2
    What do you know about the strength of magnetic fields in relation to distance R?
  4. Apr 1, 2005 #3
    If B is constant, then r is constant??
  5. Apr 1, 2005 #4
    Well typically one would say that backwards, since B is a function of r. What is B as a function of R?

What does B have to be equal to to put the particle in uniform circular motion? Think about the force involved in circular motion, and the force of a magnetic field.
  6. Apr 3, 2005 #5
    and F=Bqv

also v=(2pi.r)/t
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?