1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric charge in dog

1. Dec 21, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I've got a question which I can't google, I' haven't found anything about this. My dog simply shock me. Yes, I know static electricity and stuff but I wonder why this happens only when he is excited about something? For example I tell him that we're going for a walk and when I touch him he shock me. But the wierd thing is why this happens ONLY when he's excited. When he simply walk or sleep there's nothing. I found some article where somebody describes it like some extra energy in the body. But I wanted to know if there is some scientific explanation.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Is the dog sleeping on a carpet? Sometimes added charge can come from rubbing his fur with the carpet.

4. Dec 21, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Rubbing surfaces against each other is a typical way static electricity builds up. Does he do something like that when he is excited?
    The state "excited" alone certainly does not have an influence, but what the dog does then might have one.

5. Dec 21, 2014 #4
  6. Dec 22, 2014 #5
    Sometimes. He mostly sleeps on leather sofa.

7. Dec 22, 2014 #6
    It appears for example when he lays and suddenly stand up.

8. Dec 22, 2014 #7

jedishrfu

9. Dec 23, 2014 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When excited, the dog usually waggle its tail.:) The hair on the tail rubs against something it generates electricity. When it suddenly stands up, the hair can rub to something again. The question is what is the other material. Possible the dog has different kinds of fur?

10. Dec 23, 2014 #9
    I don't think he has different kind of fur, but this explanation totally makes sense. Thanks!

11. Dec 23, 2014 #10
    Ground your dog:D

12. Dec 23, 2014 #11

mfb

2016 Award

Touching the paws is a good way to keep the same potential. If you are unlucky, the cat/dog does not like that - and of course they do not understand that it prevents shocks.

13. Dec 23, 2014 #12
    I wonder if dogs are even more irritated by such ESDs then humans. They frequently touch us with their wet noses (sensitive part of body)

14. Dec 23, 2014 #13

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you one of those people, who insists on their dogs wearing boots?

pf.2014.12.23.1347.dogs.in.boots.jpg

If not, I have another answer.

15. Dec 23, 2014 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hate to break this to you, but I am pretty sure that's not a dog.

16. Dec 23, 2014 #15

NascentOxygen

A long-haired dog that you wash far too often? :w

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook