Calculating Net Charge of a Gas with Lost Electrons

In summary: Glad to help! But remember that you weren't really counting electrons; that number was the number of oxygen molecules that had one more proton than electrons.
just.karl
A container holds a gas consisting of 1.75 moles of oxygen molecules. One in a million of these molecules has lost a single electron. What is the net charge of the gas.

1.6 x 10^-19(C/e^-) x n(e^-)

So I'm looking for the number of electrons (n) which I think is 1.05625 x 10^19 and the final answer would be .169C. "Working backwards from the answer in the back" but I do not understand how I would figure out the number of electrons. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi just.karl,

just.karl said:
A container holds a gas consisting of 1.75 moles of oxygen molecules. One in a million of these molecules has lost a single electron. What is the net charge of the gas.

1.6 x 10^-19(C/e^-) x n(e^-)

So I'm looking for the number of electrons (n) which I think is 1.05625 x 10^19 and the final answer would be .169C. "Working backwards from the answer in the back" but I do not understand how I would figure out the number of electrons. Help?

How many molecules of oxygen are in 1.75 moles?

10.538 x 10^23 molecules ?

just.karl said:
10.538 x 10^23 molecules ?

I think that's right, so you know how many total molecules there are. Do you see what to do now?

Yeah, then I just divide that by 1 x 10^6 to get the number of electrons, then plug it into the original equation. Thanks! I really appreciate your help

just.karl said:
Yeah, then I just divide that by 1 x 10^6 to get the number of electrons, then plug it into the original equation. Thanks! I really appreciate your help

Glad to help! But remember that you weren't really counting electrons; that number was the number of oxygen molecules that had one more proton than electrons. (But the proton charge magnitude is the same as the electron charge magnitude.)

I thought that I was counting the number of molecules that are missing a electron and what the charge of the gas is without them?

just.karl said:
I thought that I was counting the number of molecules that are missing a electron and what the charge of the gas is without them?

That's exactly right. I must have just misread some of your statements.

lol alright, I probably mis wrote some of the statements. Thanks again!

1. What is the definition of electric charge of a gas?

The electric charge of a gas refers to the net amount of electrical charge present in a gas. This can be positive or negative, depending on the presence of positively or negatively charged particles in the gas.

2. How is the electric charge of a gas measured?

The electric charge of a gas is typically measured using an instrument called an electrometer. This instrument applies a potential difference to the gas and measures the resulting electric current, which can then be used to calculate the charge.

3. What factors can affect the electric charge of a gas?

The electric charge of a gas can be affected by several factors, including the types and number of particles present in the gas, the temperature and pressure of the gas, and the presence of external electric or magnetic fields.

4. Why is the electric charge of a gas important in scientific research?

The electric charge of a gas is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of the gas. This information can be used to study phenomena such as plasma formation, chemical reactions, and the behavior of charged particles in electric or magnetic fields.

5. Can the electric charge of a gas be manipulated?

Yes, the electric charge of a gas can be manipulated using various techniques such as applying electric or magnetic fields, changing the temperature and pressure of the gas, or introducing additional charged particles into the gas. These manipulations can be used to control and study the behavior of the gas in various experimental settings.