1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Charge of a Gas

1. Sep 7, 2008 #1
    A container holds a gas consisting of 1.75 moles of oxygen molecules. One in a million of these molecules has lost a single electron. What is the net charge of the gas.

1.6 x 10^-19(C/e^-) x n(e^-)

So I'm looking for the number of electrons (n) which I think is 1.05625 x 10^19 and the final answer would be .169C. "Working backwards from the answer in the back" but I do not understand how I would figure out the number of electrons. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi just.karl,

How many molecules of oxygen are in 1.75 moles?

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3
    10.538 x 10^23 molecules ?

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I think that's right, so you know how many total molecules there are. Do you see what to do now?

6. Sep 7, 2008 #5
    Yeah, then I just divide that by 1 x 10^6 to get the number of electrons, then plug it into the original equation. Thanks!! I really appreciate your help

7. Sep 7, 2008 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Glad to help! But remember that you weren't really counting electrons; that number was the number of oxygen molecules that had one more proton than electrons. (But the proton charge magnitude is the same as the electron charge magnitude.)

8. Sep 7, 2008 #7
    I thought that I was counting the number of molecules that are missing a electron and what the charge of the gas is without them?

9. Sep 7, 2008 #8

alphysicist

Homework Helper

That's exactly right. I must have just misread some of your statements.

10. Sep 7, 2008 #9
    lol alright, I probably mis wrote some of the statements. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?