What is the final charge on sphere 2?

In summary, the problem involves two identical spheres with different charges attracting each other with a force of 74.9mN when they are 2.47m apart. After the charges are allowed to move and reach equilibrium, the spheres are moved apart again and now repel each other with a force of 14.98mN. The final charge on sphere 2 can be calculated using Coulomb's Law and is found to be 3e-6 C. The mistake in the initial answer was due to not including enough significant figures.
soccerj17
[SOLVED] electric charge problem

Homework Statement

Two identical small metal spheres with q1>0 and magnitude of q1>magnitude q2 attract each other with a force of magnitude 74.9mN. They are 2.47 m apart. The spheres are then brought together until they are touching. At this point, the spheres are in electrical contact so that the charges can move from one sphere to the other until both spheres have the same final charge, q. After the charges have come to equilibrium, the spheres are moved so that they are again 2.47 m apart. Now the spheres repel each other with a force of magnitude 14.98 mN. What is the final charge on sphere 2? This is the first part of the problem.

It also gives the radius of the spheres, which is 28e-6 m, but I don't think you need that for this first part because the 2.47 m is from center to center of the spheres.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law: F = kq1q2/r^2
k = 9e9
1 mN = 10e-3 N

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Coulomb's law F=kq1q2/r^2 and the charges of the two spheres are the same, so F=kq^2/r^2. So then q = (Fr^2/k)^1/2
I converted the mN into N and got q = (14.98e-3*2.47^2/9e9)^1/2 = 3e-6 C
I submitted this answer online on the site we have to do our homework for, and it said it was incorrect. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the sign of the charge?

I tried submitting both positive and negative answers, so i don't think that's the problem.

How many significant figures did you leave in your submitted answer. (I hope you didn't round off to just one!)

Thanks! That was the problem. My calculator had given me the answer 0.000006 so I had to convert everything to the -6 power to get the more specific answer.

What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of coulombs.

What causes electric charge?

Electric charge is caused by the presence of subatomic particles called protons and electrons, which have opposite charges. Protons have a positive charge and electrons have a negative charge.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charge to flow freely through them, while insulators are materials that resist the flow of electric charge. Conductors typically have loosely bound electrons that can easily move, while insulators have tightly bound electrons that do not move as easily.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space where electric charges experience a force. It is created by a charged object and can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges involved.

Why do objects become charged?

Objects can become charged through a process called charging, which involves the transfer of electric charges between objects. This can happen through friction, contact, or induction, among other methods.