Electric Field Above a Small Hole in a Charged Spherical Shell?

In summary, the question is asking for the electric field above and below a small hole in a spherical shell with radius a and charge density sigma. The electric field below the hole is zero due to Gauss' Law because the charge enclosed is also zero. To solve for the electric field above the hole, one can use electric potential to model the potential, and then use its gradient to obtain the electric field. Alternatively, one can use calculus to integrate over the surface charge, treating them as infinitely small point charges, but this method is more difficult due to the loss of spherical symmetry and the non-origin location of the point of interest. The problem may also be asking for a verbal explanation of the impact of the hole, which can be done using electric
mahorka
Hey. I am trying to solve the following problem:

Given a spherical shell with radius a and charge density sigma. If a very small patch of this surface were removed, leaving a small hole, what is the electric field just above and just below this hole?

For the electric field below the hole, I think the answer is zero, by gauss' law. Since the charge enclosed would be zero (same as if the hole were not present).

However, I'm not sure how I would go about solving for the electric field above the hole. I initially thought that I could simply calculate what the field would be if the hole was not there, and then take this result and subtract the electric field of a small disk of radius a (that would represent the hole) but I don't seem to get the right answer.

And help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello mahorka,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Have you studied electric potential yet? This problem will be a lot easier if you start by modeling the potential (the potential can be shown to be more or less unchanged whether the small hole is there or not). Then use its gradient to obtain the electric field.

If you don't have the luxury of using potentials, the only way I can think of doing this involves some pretty nasty calculus integrating over the surface charge, treating the surface charges as infinitely small point charges. The thing that makes this tough is you don't get to use the normal equations since spherical symmetry is lost, and the point of interest is not at the origin, but instead somewhere near the surface of the shell. This way of solving the problem is possible, yet brutal.

[Edit]: Btw, I suspect the problem might simply be asking for a verbal explanation rather than an explicit proof. Using the concept of electric potential may allow you to verbally explain what impact the hole would have, if any (without having to show the math). Or you could show the math. But potentials will make it easier either way.

Last edited:

1. What is electric charge and how is it measured?

Electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that determines how it interacts with electric and magnetic fields. It is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is electric charge created?

Electric charge is created by the movement of electrons between atoms. This can occur through friction, contact, or induction.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative electric charge?

Positive electric charge is associated with protons, while negative electric charge is associated with electrons. Opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel.

4. Can electric charge be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electric charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

5. What are some everyday examples of electric charge?

Some everyday examples of electric charge include static electricity, lightning, and the flow of electricity through wires in electronic devices.