Electric Charges and Fields

In summary, the problem involves two charged spheres with a distance of 4 cm between them. They attract each other with a force of 1.2x10^-9 and one sphere has twice the charge of the other with opposite signs. Using the equation Fe = KQq/r^2 and given that K = 9.0x10^9, we can solve for q and then double it to find the magnitude of the charge on each sphere. It is important to convert cm to meters before solving the equation.
LampMan

Homework Statement

two charged spheres 4 cm apart attract each other with a force of 1.2x10^-9 . determin the magnitude of the charge on each if one has twice the charge (of the opposite sign) as the other.

Homework Equations

Fe = KQq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

well you are only given Fe and r, plus the info that Q is = to (2)q and k = 9.0x10^9 so I am stumped after this step

1.2x10^-9 = (9.0x10^9)(2)qq/16

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your equation everything is a number except for q. Can you solve it for q? Also, you forgot to convert cm to meters.

could it possibly be that I am using the wrong equatiom? and should be using E(force intensity) = kq/r^2 instead of coulombs law??

edit: yes i forgot to convert haha good call..but yea the fact that I am finding two charges throws me off...so would just solving for one q give me the charge I am looking for, then just double it to get the 2nd charge?

Correct. Find q then double it. It is that simple.

aha well I've mised 2 of 2 classes on this unit so i can't believe it was that easy now that i see it ahhh well thanks alot

1. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electrical and magnetic forces. It can be positive or negative.

2. How are electric charges created?

Electric charges can be created through several processes, including friction, induction, and contact with other charged objects. They can also be created through chemical reactions or changes in the atomic structure of an object.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where the electric force is exerted on other charged objects. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charged object's electric charge.

4. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact with each other through the electric force, which can be attractive or repulsive depending on the charges involved. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

5. How can electric charges be measured?

Electric charges can be measured using an instrument called an electrometer. This device measures the electric potential difference between two points, which is directly related to the amount of electric charge present.