1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Charges and Fields

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two charged spheres 4 cm apart attract each other with a force of 1.2x10^-9 . determin the magnitude of the charge on each if one has twice the charge (of the opposite sign) as the other.

2. Relevant equations

Fe = KQq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

well you are only given Fe and r, plus the info that Q is = to (2)q and k = 9.0x10^9 so im stumped after this step

1.2x10^-9 = (9.0x10^9)(2)qq/16

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In your equation everything is a number except for q. Can you solve it for q? Also, you forgot to convert cm to meters.

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    could it possibly be that im using the wrong equatiom? and should be using E(force intensity) = kq/r^2 instead of coulombs law??

edit: yes i forgot to convert haha good call..but yea the fact that im finding two charges throws me off...so would just solving for one q give me the charge im looking for, then just double it to get the 2nd charge?

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct. Find q then double it. It is that simple.

6. Dec 6, 2009 #5
    aha well ive mised 2 of 2 classes on this unit so i cant believe it was that easy now that i see it ahhh well thanks alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook