Proving SHM in a System of Electric Charges

In summary: F = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{Qq}{y^2} F = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{Qq}{y^2} The acceleration due to this force is a = \frac{Qq}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} y^2 m} a = \frac{Qq}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} y^2 m}
stunner5000pt
Two postitive charges +Q are held at fixed distance d from each other. A particle of charge -q is placed at the mid point between them and given a small displacement y, on the line perpendicular to the line joining them and released. Show that hte particle described SHM of period [tex] (\frac{\epsilon_{0} m \pi^3 d^3}{qQ})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

i drew a figure of what this might look like.

I was wondering if i had to prove that this particle is going to undergo SHM. I can easily say that at points +y and -y the force on the particle is the maximum and is [tex] \pm \frac{Qqd}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0} tan^2 \theta} [/tex]

would i then simply plug the acceleration of this force into th4e SHM equation??

But how would i get rid of the tan theta?? I doesn't appear in the answer they want.. after all.

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    5 KB · Views: 1,141
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just replace tan(theta) with (d/2)/y?

that would produce a y in the final answer. Look at hteh answer i want. I doesn't have any Ys involved in it. Thats why tan theta cannot be replaced like that

The force from each charge has two components. Using symmetry arguments you can see the vertical components cancel out, and that the horizontal components (the y-components) of the two forces from the two charges add up. Let psi be the angle between the diagonal and the vertical axis (it seems to be a more convenient angle to work from than theta).

To find the y-components of the forces, we need to make two approximations: 1.) because the distance y is small, the change in the distance r between q and each Q will not change much from d/2; 2.) the force component in the y-direction is F*sin(psi), and for small angles sin(psi) = psi. (Zoom in on the portion of the sin(x) vs. x curve around the origin and you'll see it resembles a line with slope 1 crossing the origin). So F*sin(psi) ~ F*psi. Don't forget to change psi to the distance y that it corresponds to.

The equation for simple harmonic motion is

m*a - (restoring force) = 0

where the restoring force is proportional to x (else it wouldn't be "simple"). If you do the algebra with F*psi you'll find you get some expression that's proportional to y. Let that expression be k. According to formulas about SHM, the angular velocity omega is equal to sqrt(m/k), and the period is equal to 2pi/omega. Do the algebra, and you should end up with the right answer.

ok let's see

force on each end of the Y axis (horizontal as in the diagram) would be due to both charges

[tex] F = \frac{2}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{Qq}{y^2} [/tex]

[tex] F = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{Qq}{y^2} [/tex]

the acceleration due to this forcei s
[tex] a = \frac{Qq}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} y^2 m} [/tex]

plugging into [tex] ma - ky = 0 [/tex] where k is restoring force

[tex] k = \frac{Qq}{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} y^3} [/tex]

[tex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{m}{k}} [/tex]

[tex] T = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{2 \pi \epsilon_{0} y^3 m}{Qq}} [/tex]

[tex] T = \sqrt{\frac{8 \epsilon_{0} m \pi^3 y^3}{Qq}}[/tex]
now [tex] y = \frac{d}{2} \tan{\theta} [/tex]

[tex] T = \sqrt{\frac{\epsilon_{0} m \pi^3 d^3 \tan^3{\psi}}{Qq}}}[/tex]

how do i eliminate the tan psi?? do i use the assumption that tan psi = 1 for small angles??

Last edited:
stunner5000pt said:
ok let's see

force on each end of the Y axis (horizontal as in the diagram) would be due to both charges

[tex] F = \frac{2}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{Qq}{y^2} [/tex]
Actually, it should be divided by r^2 = y^2 + (d/2)^2 ~ (d/2)^2.

1. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that creates an electromagnetic field and interacts with other electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between objects.

2. What are the two types of electric charges?

The two types of electric charges are positive and negative. Positive charges are created by protons, while negative charges are created by electrons. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

3. What is the unit of electric charge?

The unit of electric charge is the coulomb (C). One coulomb is equivalent to the charge of 6.241 × 10^18 protons or electrons. It is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb.

4. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth between two points due to a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. It can be described by a sinusoidal function and is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering.

5. How are electric charges related to SHM?

Electric charges play a role in SHM when an object with a charge is placed in an electric field. The electric field will exert a force on the object, causing it to oscillate back and forth. This phenomenon is known as electrically driven SHM and is used in devices such as electric motors and speakers.