Deriving V-E Relation for Uniformly Charged Rod at Radial Distance r > a"

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to derive a relation between the potential V and the magnitude of the electric field E at a radial distance r from a long, uniformly charged rod with a radius of a (where r is greater than a). One person suggests using Gauss' Law and then using the equation E = -dV/dr, but the other person is unsure if that is the correct approach. They also mention that the relationship between the electric field and potential, \vec E = -\nabla \Phi, is fundamental.
SpatialVacancy
Could someone help me out on this problem?

Derive a relation between the potential [itex] V [/itex] and the magnitude of the Field [itex] E [/itex] at a radial distance [itex] r [/itex] from the axis
of a very long uniformly charged rod of radius [itex] a [/itex] ([itex] r > a [/itex]).

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not following that properly. At first I would have thought you use Gauss' Law for electrostatics to work out the E field at a point r from the rod and then use E = -dV/dr, but that doesn't seem right :/.

I'm not sure what you mean by "derive a relation between..." since [itex]\vec E = -\nabla \Phi[/itex] is fundamental.

1. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electromagnetic interactions. It can be positive or negative and is measured in coulombs (C).

2. How is electric charge created?

Electric charge can be created through the transfer of electrons between objects. For example, rubbing a balloon on your hair creates static electricity by transferring electrons from your hair to the balloon, giving the balloon a negative charge.

3. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely through them, while insulators do not allow electric charges to flow. Metals, such as copper and aluminum, are good conductors, while rubber and glass are good insulators.

4. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. The strength of this force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

5. Can an electric charge be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electric charge cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another.