1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Charges (max and min)

1. Sep 6, 2011 #1
    A positive charge Q is on the y-axis at a distance a from the origin, and another positive charge q is on the x-axis at a distance b from the origin.
    A) For what values(s) of b is the x-component of the force on q a minimum?
    B) For what values(s) of b is the x-component of the force on q a maximum?

Ok so I know that when b is zero, there is no x component.

To solve the maz I did the following

Fx=kQq/(a+b)^2

soFx = (4πεQq/(a^2 +b^2))(b/dFx/db = ((4πεQq)/(a^2 +b^2)^1.5) -8πεQqb^2(1.5(a^2 +b^2)^0.5/(a^2 +b^2)^3
    a^2 +b^2))= 4πεQqb/(a^2 +b^2)^1.5

I took the deriviative of Fx with respect to b,
    dFx/db = ((4πεQq)/(a^2 +b^2)^1.5) -8πεQqb^2(1.5(a^2 +b^2)^0.5/(a^2 +b^2)^3 (I don't know if this is right)
    to solve for b I got
    b=a/sqrt(8a^2q)^3

I'm pretty sure this is not right since on the website I use to submit my homework, there is only one space below the a for the maxima.

Where I need to input my answers it says the following:
    a) Minima when b=___ and also as b approaches infinity
    b) Maxima when b= +-a/sqrt____

There's only space for one number on each blank. I assume a) is zero. but I dont know what to do with b.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2011 #2
    What you call F_x is not the force in the x direction but the magnitude of the force. You need to multiply F_x by a sin or cosine term to get the x component. But other then that it looks like you are on the right track.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook