1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric charges

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two equally charged identical conducting spheres, A and B, repel each other with a force of 2.0 x 10^5 Newton. Another identical uncharged sphere, C, is touched to A and then moved over right next to B.
    What is the electric force on A now?
    What is the electric force on C after it has touched A and is halfway between A and B?

2. Relevant equations
    F=K q^2/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I let q arbitrarily equal 1.0x 10^-6 Nm^2/C^2
    I determined the distance to be 21.2 m
    If A is negatively charged at 1.0 x 10^-6 does C touching it take half of that charge?
    If so, does A and C now have a charge of 5.0 x 10^-7?
    I'm not sure what happens to the charge when A and C touch.
    If they are halved, then the electric force on A remains the same and
    the force on C remains the same when it is at half the distance.
    I would love some help with this, please.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Don't assume arbitrary numerical values and make things messy. Lets suppose the charge on A and B is q each. If their dist is r, F = k*q^2/r^2.

After touching, the charge q will distribute itself equally on A and C, since they are conductors. So, A and C each has q/2.

If you now place C very close to B, then there is a net charge of 3q/2 there, and q/2 at A. So, force F1 = k(3/2)q*(1/2)q/r^2 = k*3q^2/(4r^2).

We can now find how many times is F1 of F.

Can you do the 2nd part now?
  4. Dec 10, 2007 #3
    Yes, I've got it now. Thank you very much!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?