Electric Charges: Forces on A and C Explained

In summary, after touching, the charge on spheres A and C becomes equal and when sphere C is placed halfway between A and B, the electric force on A remains the same while the force on C becomes three-fourths of the original force.
yoleven

Homework Statement

Two equally charged identical conducting spheres, A and B, repel each other with a force of 2.0 x 10^5 Newton. Another identical uncharged sphere, C, is touched to A and then moved over right next to B.
What is the electric force on A now?
What is the electric force on C after it has touched A and is halfway between A and B?

Homework Equations

F=K q^2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I let q arbitrarily equal 1.0x 10^-6 Nm^2/C^2
I determined the distance to be 21.2 m
If A is negatively charged at 1.0 x 10^-6 does C touching it take half of that charge?
If so, does A and C now have a charge of 5.0 x 10^-7?
I'm not sure what happens to the charge when A and C touch.
If they are halved, then the electric force on A remains the same and
the force on C remains the same when it is at half the distance.
I would love some help with this, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't assume arbitrary numerical values and make things messy. Let's suppose the charge on A and B is q each. If their dist is r, F = k*q^2/r^2.

After touching, the charge q will distribute itself equally on A and C, since they are conductors. So, A and C each has q/2.

If you now place C very close to B, then there is a net charge of 3q/2 there, and q/2 at A. So, force F1 = k(3/2)q*(1/2)q/r^2 = k*3q^2/(4r^2).

We can now find how many times is F1 of F.

Can you do the 2nd part now?

Yes, I've got it now. Thank you very much!

1. What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electric field. It can be either positive or negative, and like charges repel each other while opposite charges attract.

2. How are electric charges created?

Electric charges are created through the transfer of electrons between objects. When an object gains or loses electrons, it becomes positively or negatively charged, respectively.

3. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around an electrically charged object where other charged objects experience a force. The strength of the electric field is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charges creating it.

4. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract. The strength of this force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

5. How do electric charges affect objects in motion?

When an electric charge is placed in an electric field, it experiences a force that can cause it to accelerate. This force can also affect the motion of other charged objects in the field, depending on their charges and positions.