Electric Circuit, drawing question

In summary, the first step in simplifying the circuit is to convert the "pie" shape to a star using the standard method. Then, two arms of the star are combined with the existing arms, leaving a redundant arm on the right. The resulting resistance of the combined arms is then calculated and added in parallel with the remaining resistance on the right. Finally, the remaining resistances are combined in series to get the net resistance viewed from the source.
NYROCKFAN
I have to simplify this circuit step by step, and I'm stuck on how the first step after the drawing shown should look (how it looks after the resitances labeled 2 & 4 are combined).

Attachments

• Physics diagram.JPG
    Physics diagram.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
It is the 3 resistances at right which are 'combined ' you must convert the 'pie' to a star ( standard method ) then two arms of the star are combined with the existing arms , this leaves a star of which the right most is redundant the other two gives
the net resistance, as viewed from the source.

rayjohn01 said:
It is the 3 resistances at right which are 'combined ' you must convert the 'pie' to a star ( standard method ) then two arms of the star are combined with the existing arms , this leaves a star of which the right most is redundant the other two gives
the net resistance, as viewed from the source.

I didn't really understand any of that...

I emailed my teacher and he said the resistances 2 & 4 are combined, then I have to figure out the rest. They either combine and resistance2,4 is shown on the far right side, and then is considered parallel to resitance 3, making the circuit a series that can be simplified and solved for. Or, they combine and are next to resistance 1, which combines with it, and forms a series which can be solved.

That's right. The easy way is to combine resistors 2 and 4 in series (7 + 7 = 14 ohms) Then you have the new combined resistor in parallel with resistor 3 so the resistance of that is (7 * 14) / (7 + 14). Then you can just add the resulting resistor in series with the remaining two (numbers 1 and 5).

ceptimus said:
That's right. The easy way is to combine resistors 2 and 4 in series (7 + 7 = 14 ohms) Then you have the new combined resistor in parallel with resistor 3 so the resistance of that is (7 * 14) / (7 + 14). Then you can just add the resulting resistor in series with the remaining two (numbers 1 and 5).

Thank you! I got it!

I apologise , I over complicated it .
The two right resistances are combined in 'series ' rt = rx + ry. This result is in parallel with the next one left 1/rt = 1/rx + 1/ry
( in this rt is the result of the other two rx , ry whatever they are ).
the remaining 3 resistances are in series rt = rx + ry + rz
it takes a little practice but there is no magic.
Ray.

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a path or loop through which electric current can flow. It is made up of a source of electricity, such as a battery or power outlet, and a closed loop of conductors, such as wires, that allow the flow of electrons.

2. How do you draw an electric circuit?

To draw an electric circuit, you will need to identify the components of the circuit, such as the source of electricity, wires, and any resistors or other components. Then, use symbols to represent each component and connect them with lines to create a closed loop. The direction of the flow of current is shown by an arrow on the lines.

3. What are the important symbols to know when drawing an electric circuit?

The most important symbols to know when drawing an electric circuit include a battery or power source symbol, a resistor symbol, a switch symbol, and a light bulb or other load symbol. There are also symbols for different types of wires, such as conductors and insulators.

4. How do you label an electric circuit diagram?

To label an electric circuit diagram, you should include labels for each component, such as the voltage and amperage of the battery or power source, the resistance of any resistors, and the type of load, such as a light bulb. You should also label the direction of current flow and any important connections or junctions in the circuit.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when drawing an electric circuit?

Common mistakes to avoid when drawing an electric circuit include forgetting to include all necessary components, using incorrect symbols or labels, and not following the correct direction of current flow. It is also important to ensure that the circuit is complete and closed, with no gaps or breaks in the loop.