1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuit Problem - Help Asap Final In 3 Days

1. Jun 23, 2005 #1
    Hello! i'm just preparing to write my physics 12 final and can't seem to solve a problem form a past exam that i was doing

Here is the question:

a circuit using a new battery which has an emf of 6.00 V and an internal resistnace of 1.00 ohms is shown on the left( In the diagram there also is a current of 0.375 A and a resistor place in series labeled R)
    THe battery is then replaced with a used one that has the same emf of 6.00 V bu ta different internal resistance.
    If resistor R now dissipates 1.75 W, waht is the internal resistance of the used battery??????????

(diagram the same but with 1.75 W at the R (resistor in series placed in circuit)

THe answer is 2.57 ohms

i tryed using Vterminal =6.00- (.375)(1) in regards to the orginal battery
    and v terninal is then equal to 5.625
    You then need to figure out I in the next situiation i'm assuming using Power. P=IV... i dunno i got lost and tryed to work backwards but no dice

any help woudl be awesome
    email me at liajohnson55@hotmail.com
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Use this information to find the value of R.
    Start by finding the current.
  4. Jun 24, 2005 #3
    1)Since the resistor R is in series with internal resistance of the battery , add them up in series , apply Ohm's Law to get the value of internal resistance.

2)Power generated by a resistor is given by [itex]i^2R[/itex]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?