1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuit Question

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    Hello. Hopefully someone here is able to answer this. I'm not sure if it's easy or hard, but it sure is frustrating... Here is the question...word for word, I would make a sad attempt at a picture, but it would probably be wrong. So...

"A powerhouse near a waterfall has a large DC generator that produces electricity for a factory 0.50 mile away. The energy is transmitted over two cables each with a resistance of 0.25 Ohms/Mile. Given that the factory requires 45kW at a voltage of 110V to run its equipment, what must be the output of the powerhouse"

We haven't talked a lot about resistances yet, so I think I'm probably making mistakes there...but yea. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

For DC, power P = V * I, so I = P/V.

The total resistance over the line, R, is given by R = [itex]\rho[/itex] L, where [itex]\rho[/itex] is the resistance per unit length and L is the total length of the line.

Now what is the voltage drop and power loss over the line?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?