1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuit?

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physicsxt0.jpg

The circuit shown above includes a switch S, which can be closed to connect the 3-microfarad capacitor in parallel with the 10-ohm resistor or opened to disconnect the capacitor from the circuit.

Case I. Switch S is open. The capacitor is not connected. Under these conditions determine:
    a) The current in the battery
    b) the current in the 10-ohm resistor
    c) the potential difference across the 10-ohm resistor

Case II. Switch S is closed. The capacitor is connected. After some time, the currents reach constant values. Under these conditions determine:
    d) The charge on the capacitor
    e) The energy stored in the capacitor

3. The attempt at a solution
    part a)I found the total resistance to be 9 ohms: 6+ 1/(1/4+1/(10+2)) so I=72/9=8 amps
    Part b) I thought that 1/4 of the current would go through the 10 ohm resistor (12 ohms total in that branch, 4 in the parallel branch) so 1/4 of 8 is 2 amps
    Part c) V=IR, V=(2 amps)(10 ohms)=20 V
    Part d) The voltage drop should be the same as in the 10 ohm resistor, Q=(3x10-6)(20)=6x10-5C
    Part e) U=QV/2, U=(6x10-5)(20)/2=6x10-4J

I think part b might be wrong, which screwed up the rest.. Can anyone either confirm this or correct me? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2
    Your answer for part b is correct. I used Kirchoff's voltage law and current nodes. It appears the rest of your calculations are correct also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?