1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuits EMF

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You'll have to forgive me... I've got some rather poor Physics books with which to consult, so this may seem rather simple. I think I understand the concepts but I don't think I have all of the information from my sources to answer this problem.

A 1.5 V battery stores 4.3 kJ of energy. How long can it light a flashlight bulb that draws 0.6A?

Units should be in hours, but I'm not sure what to do with only having equations V = IR and I = E/R (where E is epsilon, of course). I don't know what part of this factors into time!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The electric power in a DC circuit is [itex] P =IV [/itex]. Is that enough to get you going?

4. Oct 30, 2007 #3
    Guess it'll have to be. Thanks.

5. Oct 30, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have more questions I'll be happy to clarify :smile:

The units of power are of course Joules/second. That is where the time comes into it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?