How long can a 1.5 V battery light a flashlight bulb drawing 0.6A?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of determining the duration a 1.5 V battery can light a flashlight bulb that draws 0.6A, given that the battery stores 4.3 kJ of energy. The conversation also mentions the use of equations V=IR and I=E/R, and suggests using the equation P=IV to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the units of power are Joules/second, which is crucial in calculating the time.
Sarliz

Homework Statement

You'll have to forgive me... I've got some rather poor Physics books with which to consult, so this may seem rather simple. I think I understand the concepts but I don't think I have all of the information from my sources to answer this problem.

A 1.5 V battery stores 4.3 kJ of energy. How long can it light a flashlight bulb that draws 0.6A?

Units should be in hours, but I'm not sure what to do with only having equations V = IR and I = E/R (where E is epsilon, of course). I don't know what part of this factors into time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric power in a DC circuit is [itex] P =IV [/itex]. Is that enough to get you going?

Kurdt said:
The electric power in a DC circuit is [itex] P =IV [/itex]. Is that enough to get you going?

Guess it'll have to be. Thanks.

Sarliz said:
Guess it'll have to be. Thanks.

If you have more questions I'll be happy to clarify :smile:

The units of power are of course Joules/second. That is where the time comes into it.

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a pathway that allows electrons to flow from a power source, through various components, and back to the power source. It is a closed loop and the movement of electrons is what creates electricity.

2. What is EMF in electric circuits?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the force that drives the movement of electrons in a circuit. It is measured in volts and is responsible for the flow of current.

3. How is EMF different from voltage?

EMF and voltage are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. EMF is the total amount of energy supplied by a power source, while voltage is the potential difference between two points in a circuit.

4. What factors affect EMF in a circuit?

There are several factors that can affect the EMF in a circuit, including the type of power source, the number and type of components in the circuit, and the resistance of the circuit. Temperature can also have an impact on EMF.

5. How can EMF be measured in a circuit?

EMF can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is important to note that the voltmeter should be connected in parallel with the component being measured in order to accurately measure EMF.