1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuits Question

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1

Well this is my question, its not really homework or anything. Im just curious as to how you would do this. I was thinking that it would change at all. Since in a parallel circuit all the currents add up to the same number. So wouldnt you just divide 24 by 4, then minus 6 from the total I. Then times that by 3 and there you go. Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Could you write out the question please? I can't read that!!
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your voltage didn't change, but your resistance changed, so the current has to change.

The picture is hard to read, but I take it all the resistances are equal and the circuit is broken at P?

If so, you now have a parallel circuit with three branches instead of four. If you work both equations using R and simplify, the difference between them should be pretty obvious.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?